question about connections for mixer to monitors

teddyastuffed

i just recently got RP8's and love the sound, im just a bit confused on what i should connect the monitors to the mixer. i have a behringer ub2442 which has XLR Main Outs, TRS? (not sure if its TRS or TS) Main Outs, and Control Room Outs. im assuming the XLR Main Outs would be the way to go, but im not too sure. Any suggestions would be great.

Don't get twisted by connector types.

Both XLR and TRS are just 3 wires and a metal shell (just different shapes.) Signal, ground and shield. It don't matter.

monitors

If you're using them as monitors for your mixer while listening to the sound mix, you can use the control room output. That was designed for the recording studio control room to hear what was being worked on with the mixer.
If you're using them for a monitor for the band equipment, then you'll want them off the aux channel (lets say channel 1 for this example). Then you can adjust the volume of each channel aux 1 level to your monitor. If you use a stereo amp, or a left amp and right amp, then you can seperate channels to the side of the stage that needs to hear it more.

Personally I wish there were more Main outs. I've been having trouble settling on where to put my record out feed. I found out the hard way, that the control room channel is bad to use if you ever solo anything; that channel goes solo too. I don't really want to use another aux out for recording. That's more levels to set on each channel. But that can also have advantages.

Good Luck!
Chris :)

Back