Question about compression "pumping" (this has been buggin me!!!)

asi9

This is kindof hard to word, I was wondering if someone can explain what's REALLY happening when you get the affect from compression we know as "pumping". I'm not talking just technical, I'm talking psychological. Have you noticed that it kindof gives you a "air sucked away from your ears" kinda feeling? Why do you get that feeling?

And another thing I've always wondered about dealing with compression (which may have something to do with my previous question:

First, download the pic with this post. My question is, does compression have some pseudo-eq effects? Let me explain- pretend that the picture is that of a single kick drum hit being viewed through a spectrum analyzer, so you can see how much energy is in each particular frequency. You'll observe that in this particular little kick drum hit, there's a lot of low end around 100hz, and allot of attack near 3khz. Everywhere else is fairly even and more consistent. Now, we're going to compress it like this.... the threshold is -9 db (this will be a dotted line in the picture). The attack is fast, and release is slow so that it will catch any transients. The ratio will be set high so that it is really "squashing" the waveform, I said 8:1. The red line shows what I predict it would look like after you compress it (am I close?).

Now if you look at the red line, you'll see that only the peaks in the 100hz and 3khz were affected by the compression. Everything else is below the threshold, so it was not compressed. With me so far? Now, here's my point, you see what happened here, what's to say that you couldn't affect the wave form in a similar way by setting a parametric eq with a width of about 2 octaves and gain reduction of about 6 db, one centered at 100hz, and the other centered at about 3khz? And if so, when you compress a waveform at the top to tame peaks, is it only affecting peaks in certain frequency areas, which would be the same as eq'ing the waveform in a bunch of different spots at different areas and levels, giving it an "unnatural sound" which our ears recognize as obvious compression or "pumping"? And is this why compression makes mixes sometimes "muddy", because they are reducing hi-end peaks that usually make it "crisp"?

And are you still with me? I did my best at explaining this, in my head the dilemna is plain as day, but putting it into words is rather difficult. Thanks for bearing with me!

Attachments

• compressionoverspectrum.gif
    compressionoverspectrum.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 41
I'm afraid I can't give you a highly technical answer, but I can relate some of what I've learned from playing around with the compressor in Cool Edit 2000....

I think a good starting place, if you are new to compression, is to begin with what I'll call "simple" compression; what I mean by that, is to apply a non-dynamic, full-frequency compression. To explain that a bit further, by non-dynamic, I mean a compression that is being applied to the entire audio source, from -144 db right up to the top as well as a static compression over time that is not dynamically reacting to the audio source, as opposed to a compression that is being applied based on dynamic bands or time slices. Also, by full-frequency compression, I mean compression that is being applied from 0Hz right up to 24kHz.

Play around with it... for some music you may only need a tad of compression, say 1.5:1, while other music might come out best with a 3:1, 20:1, or even 100:1 compression. With some music the differences may be sublte, while with other music it may not be.

Now, depending on your compressor, you can go way beyond what I describe as "simple" compression, but playing in this area is where you can easilly create that "pulsing" of the sound by mixing your compression layers inapropriately. Others will certainly have more to say on this, but I think that a few guidelines can help prevent most "pulsing" results:

1. Be very careful applying dynamic compression, be it band based, time based, amplitude based, or whatever, but by all means play around with it. If you can craft custom filters in your compressor, this would probably be the best way to use dynamic compression -- selectively applying custom compression envelopes to your tracks only where they need it, then polishing with any other compression if required.

2. Minimize compression requirements if possible by tweaking the mix you are recording to digital in the first place.

3. Always keep a backup in case you skipped the "undo data" part of the compression and you blew it on your calculations, hehe.

Good Luck. I'm looking forawrd to see what others have to say in this thread....

-Shaz

A lot of that sucking sound comes from too fast release times. Just an added tidbit on the discussion. Nothing more. :)

I think that a musically pleasing compression is one that is most transparent,usually.Of course you can use compression like a phase or flange and squash a signal as an effect.
But the normal intended use is to correct variation in volume level by the instrument or vox during tracking.However,provided you haven't clipped the signal going into the digital domain (an "over" or input over 0dB,makes a horrible crackle) you can use a software compressor to push the peaks down to the average level.
Its the threshold knob that gets you into trouble here,not necessarily the ratio.The threshold should ideally be set in decibels the distance from the average level of the track up to the highest peak.That way,the vast body of the music is completely unaffected with only the peaks getting pushed down.Trouble comes when you set the threshold down into the body of the program material.What happens is you are listening to the music just fine when a transient peak makes the compressor clamp down on too much then release after the peak passes and the music sounds ok untill the next peak.Notice how cymbals sound weirdly hollow during pumping and breathing artifacts.
Get gram.exe from http://prorec.com in the software page as Spectrogram.It is a free frequency analysis program where you can load a track or a mix and get a visual readout against a graph of RMS or dB.Cool Edit also has a freq analysis function.Put your mouse on the highest peak and note down the level.Do the same for the average.the distance between those two numbers in dB is the threshold setting.Set the ratio by eyeing the gain red from 5 to 15 dB depending.Let your ear be the judge here rather than a number.
Tom

Back