Question about backing up hard drive on HD24

Reel Recording

Not sure what is happening here... I backed up my hard drive from drive 1 into hard drive 2- then swapped out hard drive one for a different one. When I was finished, I backed it up. Upon checking hard drice 2, the back up- I can't find anything from the first project. Does backing up another project automatically erase what is on the 2nd drive?

Good question. I am not able to answer, but I am interested in the HD24 to replace my adat's. Did you try to contact Alesis?

Reel Recording said:
Not sure what is happening here... I backed up my hard drive from drive 1 into hard drive 2- then swapped out hard drive one for a different one. When I was finished, I backed it up. Upon checking hard drice 2, the back up- I can't find anything from the first project. Does backing up another project automatically erase what is on the 2nd drive?

No it shouldn't. I create "songs" for my live projects and when I back up between drives it just creates a copy of the song on the new drive. I'm assuming the same behavior if you create projects (one level up) though.

I did contact Alesis, and learned a hard lesson (this REALLY should have been in the manual!)
Here it is- if you copy one song at a time, it won't erase your drive. If you copy the entire hard drive , it erases what was on there, and anything that is erased is unretrievable.

I lost 41 songs.

Reel Recording said:
The only thing I can think of is you did not creat a new "track" and accidently erased the last project.

On the HD24 yahoo forum, I have seen comments by guys talking about using Linux to retrieve data off a hard drive. If in fact the data is still there and not just "hidden". A full erase of a drive is like a reformat, it takes a long time (longer than simply copying it). I'm speculating it may be like the "quick erase" of a DVDR, where the data is still there but hidden.

brodgind said:
Good question. I am not able to answer, but I am interested in the HD24 to replace my adat's. Did you try to contact Alesis?

If you're looking at replacing your Adats (and aren't interested in getting into the DAW way of things, as I wasn't), the HD24 is just great. A lot of the BRC remote's functions are retained (including very effective punch-in edit control).

I always thought it was pretty obvious that when making HD2 a copy of HD1, what was on HD2 will be lost? But I agree the manual maybe could be a tad clearer about this.

Backups

I like to transfer my data to my PC via the Fireport and burn the tracks to DVD as backups when I am done with the project. During the project, I just leave them on my PC.

robin watson said:
If you're looking at replacing your Adats (and aren't interested in getting into the DAW way of things, as I wasn't), the HD24 is just great. A lot of the BRC remote's functions are retained (including very effective punch-in edit control).
I bought my first hd24 and love it, but am glad I read this forum. I had to put it into service without having a good feel for the backup situation for my clients, and sorry to say, thanks for f*ing up for me:)! Now I am setting up a raid array for backup for me, and burn to dvd for the client. Awsome unit for $1200!

Back