Question about Audacity

Charles Bullock

I hope this isn't too complicated....anyway....

I am trying to record using Audacity and have encountered an interesting problem: It doesn't seem to have an "overdubbing" capability. I have tried going to the preferences section and checking "play one track while recording another" but when I put on my headphones I do not hear the playback track, only the one being recorded. Needless to say, overdubbing is kind of uh...essential...in multitrack recording.

I'd love to make the leap to this technology, but so far it isn't convincing me that my Fostex VF-160 isn't easier and less frustrating.

I know, I know, Audacity is a free download. Is Pro Tools less problematic in this regard? I'm not trying to avoid paying....oh hell, I'm lying yes I am trying to avoid paying $500 plus for an MBox and software, but I'll do it if it overcomes this problem.

But really, do you have to be a Linux hacker to run this stuff?

Someone educate me.

cheers

Lawrence Bullock

I used to use Audacity. Great software, especially for free. As for your problem.....have you tried recording yet? It should playback the track automatically when you record over it. It did for me. If you record and the other track doesn't play, the only solutions I can think of are to turn up your monitors[ perhaps you have the volume all the way down?] and make sure the track you wanted playe back isn't on mute and the gain isn't lowered.

Newbie dude said:
I used to use Audacity. Great software, especially for free. As for your problem.....have you tried recording yet? It should playback the track automatically when you record over it. It did for me. If you record and the other track doesn't play, the only solutions I can think of are to turn up your monitors[ perhaps you have the volume all the way down?] and make sure the track you wanted playe back isn't on mute and the gain isn't lowered.

I'll try that. Thanks.

LB

Ok, here's the thing: I have recorded now, a basic guitar track and I want to add bass. I am playing bass through a mixer which is then input into the computer. I can hear the playback track, but cannot hear the bass track at the same time. I can SEE the bass being recorded, but cannot hear it. As you might imagine, even with the feature that allows you to synch tracks later, this might be a bit disconcerting.

Any ideas?

LB

hmm make sure under "Playback" you have ur soundcard selected... then uncheck "software playthrough (play new track while recording it)" (im assuming u dont need to hear the track ur recording playback while ur recording it) and check "play other tracks wihle recording new one"..that's how I have mine set up and it works fine ;)

ooh, yeah.....not sure how to help you with that. when i used audacity i never recorded direct, so i dunno how to monitor your bass. Your mixer doesn't have a headphone jack, does it? All I can think of is to buy a direct box or "outboard" preamp.

Back