Question about assigning FX

gypsyblues73

If I assign an effect to the entire track with the FX button where the fader is, but then I decide I want to assign a specific effect to a section of a track and I do that to the individual section, does one "override" the other on that particular section? Or will they both kick in on that part?

How are you 'assigning' the FX to that section of the track? Normal way is with automation if you are doing it all on the track itself. If you are sending the track to an effects bus, then yes, you will have both the effect on the original track plus the effect on the section on the bus.

I have a lot of sections of all of my tracks split at certain points (at the verse, at the pre-chorus, at the chorus, etc.) so the tracks aren't just one long continuous track, and I have the "FX" button/square set to show up above each individual split section, so I can assign FX to that section only, as opposed to the entire track. But I was wondering if I have a certain effect applied to the entire track, and then I assign an effect to only a section of the track, are they just both combined, or does one take precedence in any way. Like, if for some odd reason, if I put a compressor on the whole track, and then put the same compressor on a section of the track, does that section have x2 compression?

Yes, at that section, the item's (track) FX will kick in and you will have the two FX working at the same time, in your example you would indeed have both compressors working together, although it would not necesarilly mean x2 compression.

As mjbphotos says, the usual way to go is automation, you can set a compressor to X settings for the song, but can automate those settings to change at the chorus for example, and same for any other FX.

Back