Question 2 re: editing waves in Sonar vs PA9

eichler

Cutting and pasting portions of waves was really easy in PA9. Is it my imagination or is it much more step intensive in Sonar? Am I missing something here? I spent about two hours tring to figure out how to make simple edits.

It's basically the same process in both programs - except you do it in Track View in Sonar rather than in Audio View (which doesn't exist in Sonar).

What specific problems are you having? Are you sure you have the snap-to grid disabled? That could make it a little difficult.

I figured out you need to do it in track view but it seems I have to right click and choose "split" whereas I used to just be able to click on the spot using the correct tool.

Several answers to this one.

You can position the cursor where you want to make the cut, and type "s" on your keyboard.

Or...

Download Sonar patch 1.3.1. They have brought back the scissor tool from PA9. Using the sissor tool you can just place it where you want to cut and click the mouse.

In my experience, finding the right spot with the cursor, right clicking and choosing "split" yields a more accurate split than choosing the scissor tool and clicking. I found doing the latter would occaisionally make 2 splits that were only detected when zooming way in. It actually caused "pop"s a couple of times so use with caution...
steve

In PA9 there is a button you press that will cause all splits to occur at the closest 0 point in the wave so no pops occur - works like a charm.

That was the weird thing about that pop - the snap-to-zero button was in, and while one of the cuts was at a zero point, the other one (slightly ahead) wasn't. Either way, once you use the scissor tool a couple of times it's easy to see how making 2 cuts instead of one can occur (you've need a perfect line going instead of a square). More accuracy with the other method.

Back