quantize midi tracks

osion

Hello,
I use Sonar 2.2. I posted this in the cakewalk forum two days ago but got no responses so hopefully someone can help me here.

I want to adjust the tempo of a project to the beat of one particular "metronome" MIDI clip that I recorded and has four events, spaced equally apart. This way I will be able to quantize my MIDI tracks at the end. To do this, from my understanding, I need the measures to adjust to the events of the metronome clip so that each of those events comes at 1:01:000, 2:01:000, 3:01:000, etc.. My question is am i right to think that?? When I use Sonar's "fit to improvisation" feature, the tempo of the project adjusts to the clip but the measures (1:01:000, 2:01:000) don't correspond to the events in the clip. In other words the tempo changes so the time between the measures changes, but the actual measures stay the same. I hope that made sense.

Basically, my main problem is that the MIDI tracks are in sync with the beat and tempo in my head, not the one that is listed in the software, and this stops me from being able to quantize the tracks. I've been looking for a way to make the beat/tempo listed in software adjust to the beat/tempo of the actual clips but after reading about it all day I havent been able to figure out how.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks again for all the help you've given me so far. In the last couple of days I've posted two threads and have received excellent and helpful answers to both. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

As I understand it, you have effectively played the track in free time, with no reference to the midi timing, so that one bar of your track could actually cover 1.5 bars in midi time.

The internal midi timing will be the 'gospel acording to the sequencer' and I would think is going to be almost impossible to overcome in any normal manner.

Attempting quantization will move to the nearest beats, but will not 'claw back' extra beats.

The only way I could imagine being able to overcome this, other than to record everything again, would be to run two independant sequencers, recording on one which you have carefully aligned to the timing you want and not the timing on the sequence you are playing.

Using a pipe such as midi yoke, you can record onto the second sequencer in a different time than the one that is playing (make sure that you turn off the internal sync.) It may take a little trial and error, and may not work at all if the original waivers in timing more than a little.

I hope I have understood your probelm correctly, and this helps.

Steve

Back