Quality of mp3

Locking Nut

Hey, I've noticed that when I mixdown to mp3 the sound quality is quite poor in places. Like in several places of the file the volume seems to drop. What causes this or is it something you have to live with when converting to mp3 from wav?

Also, call me the newb that I am but do mp3 files lose quality in time? I don't expect that they do as they are digital but have to check.

First, you might want to use a VBR when mixing down to MP3, as I've found it helps in overall continuity of the quality of the file. When mixing down to MP3, you need to check the quality settings. 192 kbps @ 44100hz is the least quality you'll want to encode. Sites like Soundclick encode at 128 kbps, which is pretty standard for streaming files.

2nd question, No. Over time, the file will not degrade in quality.

Locking Nut said:
Thanks, I've no idea what a 'VBR' is or does though.
There are several ways to encode an mp3 file. The 2 most common are "CBR" (constant bit rate) and "VBR" (variable bit rate). If you encode using CBR, then you pick the particular bitrate (for example, 192kbps "kilobytes per second"). The entire song, including silent portions, will all be at 192kbps.

If you use VBR, then the bitrate will fluctuate throughout the song depending on how much sonic space is being taken up at a particular moment...if there's a silent passage at the beginning, the encoding will be lower, because it doesn't require a high bitrate to preserve the sound of silence. I use VBR a lot for transferring individual tracks to somebody, because there may be long gaps where there's no sound at all in say, a vocal track, and encoding all that silence at 192kbps just makes the file unnecessarily large.

By the way, I agree that 192 is a pretty good bitrate...good balance between sonic quality and file size. Anything lower, and you really start to lose definition, especially in the top end...cymbals sound phasey and crappy and vocals sound grainy to me at 128kbps.

Now, your original question was something about volume drops...that shouldn't be happening. For starters, make sure you're converting at AT LEAST 192kbps, (or using the VBR setting with a higher quality), and post back if it still does that. If you're using CEP/AA to convert your files from wave files to mp3, then just click on the "options" button whenever you do the "save as" and select mp3. Post back if you're lost, lol.

wav is better quality than mp3. Just think of an mp3 as a smashed wav file. Smaller and easier to download, upload - but you loose quality. At least thats what Disk Faktory tells me

Change of POETS said:
Chris explains what I assume people know...lol..

Thus why he is a better member than I... :(
pfffft. I'm not a better member than anybody...I just ramble a lot, lol

jonhall5446 said:
wav is better quality than mp3. Just think of an mp3 as a smashed wav file. Smaller and easier to download, upload - but you loose quality. At least thats what Disk Faktory tells me
Well, wav is 16 or 24 bit depending on the recording equipment. MP3 is a lossy format used for compression of the file, much like ZIP or JPEG. However, the compression is quite precise, and the Audible difference is negligable to most ears, until you go below the 192 kbps mark.

Back