Quad Mixing


New member
I want to know how quad records were mixed in the 70's. Did they or did they not use a mixing board that had a 4-way pan [as opposed to just left/right pan]. If so, where can I find one. If not, how did they do it? I want to record my band in quad. Most people think I'm nuts but I know it was done somehow. Help...Anyone?
I think those records were mixed to four tracks. I also think that you needed a special record player for those LPs (or at least a special cartridge).

I'm not sure. The only time I ever saw quad sound first-hand was in college when the professor had set up an old recorder (that was 4 track, if i'm not mistaken) to play each track to a different speaker. I think he had mixed using the 4 buss outputs rather than the stereo output.

I dunno ...

You may have an easier time setting up to encode to 5.1 surround when you mix than try to find old quad equipment. A lot of home entertainment systems can decode surround now, so maybe that's an alternative.

I don't know if I helped or not ... oh well
One way is to use a 4 track cassette machine. Get your band set up around 4 mics 90 degrees apart, and record. Go with the individual tape outs (424mkII and III feature) to two stereo amps and playback to 4 speakers. (two pairs of L-R, one pair infront, and another behind)

All the panning during tracking must be done by placing the musician's amps in the right spot.


bL bR
Thanks to both of youwho replyed to my question. While the info is helpful, it kind of missed my main piont: I want to be able to do a 4-way pan, not just left to right, but diagonal too. I have a lot of quad stuff and on that, the balance is a joystick. i'm looking for a mixer that uses something like that to do a 4-way pan. Any help, here, will also be of great use.