Quad mic cable construction

Scoob

making a quad star mic cable any one got diagram?
do i combine the two pairs to form a single pair then solder to connectors?
anyone got a diagram or willing to make one

Scoob said:
making a quad star mic cable any one got diagram?
do i combine the two pairs to form a single pair then solder to connectors?
anyone got a diagram or willing to make one

Solder 1 pair to pin2, 1 pair to pin3 and the shield to pin1

ok never mind lol
found this on belden we site

Quad Microphone Cable Defined
Quad microphone cable, also called star quad, contains four wires instead of the normal twisted pair. The four wires are spiraled together and are color coded so that they can be combined for connectorization. The construction greatly reduces common mode noise rejection.

Manufacturing of Quad Microphone Cable
Belden makes 1192A, available in 6 colors and we make a miniature version, 1804A, in 5 colors.

Wiring Quad Microphone Cable
To wire up a quad microphone cable, the four wires spiraled together are separated and stripped. Like colors are combined. That is, the two blue wires are twisted together and the two white wires are twisted together. The two resultant blue and white wires are then connected as a normal twisted pair.

How Quad Microphone Cables Works
Combining pairs in a spiral configuration affects what is called the "loop area". That means, the closer the wires stay together, the more likely that the noise and interference they encounter will be the same on each wire and the more likely the noise can be canceled by being a balanced line. Quad cable has the added advantage of having pairs of wires. They provide noise cancellation ("common mode rejection") at each pin, as well, due to the connection as a balanced line.

I solder the two like-colored wires after twisting them together, it's called "tinning". Makes them a little easier to handle when soldering to the connector. I also tin the braid.

Back