Q: Play Triton through computer

When I play my triton through my computer the sound is really muffled and bad. I have the L/Mono line going to my Line In on my Creative Audigy sound card. Everything is really quite unless I turn up the levels on my keyboard and my sound card. When I turn these levels up everything just sounds really bad. Is there any type of thing I have to change on my triton maybe? I've tried messing with all the levels on my computer. I can turn my speakers up and then turn my mic and triton down and it sounds ok, but then when I play like an MP3 it's really loud. I don't know what to do anymore really. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you really want to get into computer recording it's going to take more than finding out your keyboard sounds bad shoved straight into the line input on your soundcard.

There are a few different ways to go, each involving a small investment of time and money.

The first one is to use your Triton as a kind of home organ, and make audio recordings of the sounds. You will be able to build up layers of Triton patches according to your keyboard ability and your imagination selecting complimentary Triton patches. Here is a link to a free audio recorder and editor.

The second way is to become familiar with the fundamentals of midi. Read these two articles, part one and part two before you say no. If you do decide to go with the midi route, your ability as a keyboard player does not enter into the mix as you can slow the tempos down for recording, then speed them up for playback.

In the meantime, an investment in a small mixer like this might solve your problems with lousy sound.

I appreciate your reply ssscientist. I am currently using Sonar to record all my audio and I have experimented with MIDI. However, with MIDI I loose all the built in piano and string sounds that the triton has correct? I have used my JP8000 to record with and the sound is much more normal than with my triton. So you think a mixer will be the best solution? Thank you!

slayerment said:
However, with MIDI I loose all the built in piano and string sounds that the triton has correct?
No! You can gain a fantastic amount of control over your Triton thru using midi correctly. Instead of a mixer, invest the same amount of money in one of these and interface it with the midi tracks in Sonar.

Be sure you turn the 'local' or 'local control' off on the utililty or global page in the Triton before you plug it into the midi interface - this breaks the connection between the keyboard and the sounds inside and allows much more flexibility when sequencing.

Back