PZM Mic taped to shirt while recording drums

leaningpine

I saw a video of Neil Peart of Rush recording "Vital Signs" and he had a PZM mic taped to his shirt. I've thought about trying this, but before I do I was wondering if anyone else has done this?

If you're using your body as the barrier, a lapel mic will work just as well and perhaps look a bit less silly. Or just go binaural . . . of course the image will shift as you move your head, but that will occur to some degree with a mic on your body too.

I saw a video of Neil Peart of Rush recording "Vital Signs" and he had a PZM mic taped to his shirt. I've thought about trying this, but before I do I was wondering if anyone else has done this?

If you're using your body as the barrier, a lapel mic will work just as well and perhaps look a bit less silly. Or just go binaural . . . of course the image will shift as you move your head, but that will occur to some degree with a mic on your body too.

This is right.

A boundary mic. needs the barrier to get the bass end and your body is not a very large barrier.

And - yes - a tie mic. will do just as well.

That's what people often do recording grand piano - a pair of mini tie mics stuck to the lid to turn them into boundary mics.

For what purpose? i.e. what's the point?

G.

My guess is that he is just using that mic to monitor his kit through the headphones. That way he hears an approximation of what his kit sounds like from his perspective without the headphones on.

Neil has said in subsequent interviews that it didn't work out as hoped. He was wanting to capture what he hears behind the kit, and the engineer suggested the pzm.

Someone shoulda had a word with the camera crew ! I've hated that NYPD Blue style of camerawork for years. It makes me dizzy. And that's without the druuuurrrrgzzzzz. But as it's Rush {Neil still chucking in some cod reggae chaks ! :D}, I suppose I'll have to forgive 'em.

Back