Pyotr

Hey. I gave this a few spins...

I really like the guitar tone on this. I also think you're a skilled vocalist and they're captured well. Interesting though that there is this contrast between the kind of old-timey guitar sound and the more polished, crisp vocal sound. A lot of times that wouldn't work, but I think it does here. I love those kind of sonic contrasts when they work. I think the vocals can come up relative to the guitar.

On the down side (and this is purely subjective), I felt that the song kind of dragged. Even with such a short, reasonable overall length, the lack of any substantial melodic or arrangement variation made it difficult to maintain interest.

Also, I personally am just not a big fan of intimate lyrics like these, so maybe just not my thing. Good job though - sounds like you know what you're doing.

Yeah, bring the vocal up relative to the guitar, and maybe add a bit more space to the guit to match the vocals. (Right now, it sounds like a singer standing 8' behind the guitar.)

I think you've come up with a new genre: 'fuck confessional'.

This one's got arrangement possibilities. I think it's sort of asking for it, in order to generate some musical interest. Unless you're doing Pachelbel's Canon, you pretty much have to change things up a bit most of the time.

Raise the vocal volume as has been suggested. The old time guitar tone is really nice. The song almost has a Nick Drake vibe to it.

Overall I'd like a touch more air.

For the guitar I'd like to hear it panned slightly to one side and a bit of a dip around 250 Hz to control the tubbiness as well as a small dip around 1900 Hz to control the twanginess.

For the vocal I'd like it de-essed around 7 kHz and a narrow dip around 10 kHz to pull back the mic's brightness peak but also add a broader lift of the highs around 9 kHz. It's one of those paradoxical mics that is bright but lacks presence and air so the EQ needs to pull in opposite directions to resolve it.

With the vocal coming through better, the repetition of the guitar loop becomes less of a problem because of the improved focus on the lyric.

Whoa! Dude in the house! Yeah, +1 on the sibilance.

Pyotr, what mic did you use on this one?

I REALLY like this,, and I have a question about the sibilence,, I hear it on the reverb only, can better ears than mine say if I'm right or totally wrong?,,, it's what I hear!

Listen to him sing 'bare-breasted'. I think the sibilance is there right at the attack of the note, but the reverb just accentuates it.

I have to give the "I don't mix often anymore but..." disclaimer.

A heavy-handed de-esser on the aux buss feeding the reverb is almost a fixture for me. Would clear that all right up. Sibilance is fairly "natural" (not excessively of course, and it's great to avoid it at the source whenever possible) but sibilance into something that "stretches time and space" like reverb makes it stand out like a sore thumb. A heavy de-esser can do a wonderful job of removing the excessive harshness of sibilance but still allowing "air" to come through.

Yeah, bring the vocal up relative to the guitar, and maybe add a bit more space to the guit to match the vocals. (Right now, it sounds like a singer standing 8' behind the guitar.)

I think you've come up with a new genre: 'fuck confessional'.

This one's got arrangement possibilities. I think it's sort of asking for it, in order to generate some musical interest. Unless you're doing Pachelbel's Canon, you pretty much have to change things up a bit most of the time.

F*** Confessional? That seems to imply a guilty conscience. I don't think there would be a huge market for this, unless women want to listen to what they wished their boyfriends felt. Pretty good genre name.

Last edited:
I like the sound overall, but I agree that it does seem to drag a little. Listening at work in headphones at low volume seems fine but if you turn it up some of the S's get really loud and stand out. I like the sound of the guitar.

...A heavy-handed de-esser on the aux buss feeding the reverb is almost a fixture for me. Would clear that all right up...
+1

People often forget that they can de-ess/EQ/compress/expand/whatever aux sends to control what the reverb/echo is working with.

Certainly on the aux buss before the reverb as John suggests but if there's still excessive sibilance from the track itself, put one on there too. Depending on how your DAW sets up the routing the aux send might be de-essed twice but that might just mean easing off on the one you already set up if it's making the reverb sound unnatural.

Back