Puzzled Ableton Live Lite 11 purchaser

Jazzguitar67

Hello, I am new here. I am Jazz, rock, folk, classical guitarist in Devon England. I have written played and recorded 'Library Music' for Film and TV using a Fostex 8 track tape machine and a mixing desk. Now I have bought a Windows 10 recording package, with Ablleton Live Lite 11, an audio/midi interface and a Midi Controller keyboard with drum pads from an online shop in UK. Also powered Studio Monitors and headphones. And a Condenser Microphone. So far I have been unable to record anything at all.. The package is supposed to come with VSTi's and VST's, but I have not managed to obtain them online and install them either. If anyone can give me some tips on where to start, or where on the net I can get instructions to get it all working, I would be very grateful. Cheers, Neville

You might give us a bit more information on the interface that you have. It's important as each one has different setup points and software. You'll need the cables to hook up the controller, monitors and microphone. It's not really that much different from your Fostex setup, except the interface/computer takes the place of the tape machine.

I don't use Ableton, but there are multiple places that have info that might be helpful. Check this one out: https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/t...de-to-ableton-live-11-lite-install-activation

There are also Youtube videos on setting it up and doing your first recordings.

Ableton Live Lite is a free limited version that comes with hardware such as a controller. You've got me confused with the details of how you obtained it but perhaps that is another matter. I'll presume you got a serial number and you've registered the software? Ableton comes with some basic midi sounds including drum rack and instrument rack.

Ablton Live is hardly an intuitive DAW with a really steep learning curve. I started out with some of the basics of the interface using a number of YouTube videos but eventually purchased a course at Udemy for around $14 during one of their many sales. It is frankly much too complicated to walk someone through via a forum post. Start with a search on setting up I/O and Midi in Ableton. A basic exercise would be to set up I/O and select your midi controller and load the drum rack and select a kit. With any luck, your pads will be default mapped. Before you do that, here is a good basic starter video that helps explain a lot in about 30 minutes.

You might give us a bit more information on the interface that you have. It's important as each one has different setup points and software. You'll need the cables to hook up the controller, monitors and microphone. It's not really that much different from your Fostex setup, except the interface/computer takes the place of the tape machine.

I don't use Ableton, but there are multiple places that have info that might be helpful. Check this one out: https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/t...de-to-ableton-live-11-lite-install-activation

There are also Youtube videos on setting it up and doing your first recordings.

Thanks for the great video. My gear is as follows. Presonus Audiobox96 interface, Novation Launchkey Mini, MIDI keyboard controller with drum pads, Presonus Condenser Microphone, Stereo headphones, pair of Eris 50 watt Studio Monitors, Windows 10 PC. Problem is getting the software. I live in a Care Home and my own PC with this equipment attached is not online. There is a communal PC here which is online, but I have tried downloading the included software onto it, then transferring to USB memory stick, the onto my own PC. I have managed to get Ableton Live Lite 11 onto PC like this, but not the other software. Included is supposed to be: AAS session bundle, Softube Time and Tone Bundle, Spitfire Audiolabs Expressive Strings, XLN Audio Addictive keys, Kiergrand REverb and DAW cassette, And Novation Sound Collective membership. I have tried going to www.novationmusic.com to download all this software, as the box for the keyboard says but with no success.. I paid £400 for the package from PMT (Professional Music Technology) online. I would be very grateful for an explanation of how I can get the equipment working. Thank you, Neville

Oh dear - this is going to be painful. Everything nowadays is downloaded. I cannot speak for Abbleton, but for Cubase, that I use - every single Vsti package comes via the internet. Do you not have wifi in the care home? Surely everyone is running around with iPads, phones and tablets? If your PC is standalone, just buy a cheap USB dongle for wifi and connect to the internet that way - or if you happen to be phone savvy, with a big data allowance, you could connect to the internet from your phone and run that way. For a new installation, so much relies on getting an application installed, then filling it with the sounds. Spitfire, for example use a custom downloaded app that manages the samples you have - and goes onto the net every time, checks what you you, don't have and then downloads them. It's just not practical to do this via memory sticks as the software on that other computer won't know what you have got installed? Also - every few weeks you need to install the latest downloader. Once you are on the net, everything goes very smoothly nowadays - but they expect you to be connected 24/7.

It's been ages since you got a CD with all the goodies that came with equipment. Now you have to download and register everything via internet. Many systems won't even let you download the software. You just download an installer, and it installs the programs for you.

I would absolutely talk to the administrators of the home to see if you can get access to the internet. The times when my parents were in a home, there was free wifi, as long as you got the password. All residents and family members were given access.

Barring that, using a phone as a hotspot will work. My sister doesn't have normal internet, so we set up her I-phone to be a hotspot. Her plan gets 2GB of hotspot data per month which allows her to do things such as doing her Medicare and Social Security. It's almost mandatory to use the internet to manage things. If you don't have a cell plan with hotspot, perhaps a relative will have a plan with access.

Back