Putting effects on vocals during tracking.

asi9

I was just wondering if there's any capability within a soundcard (like a Delta 44) to put effects on vocals for monitoring purposes only (not actually tracking the effects). Like, is there anyway within windows to assign reverb to a line in or mic in playback channel, without actually tracking the reverb?

I'm thinking that if our singer has some nifty effects going during tracking, it can help him hear himself better, and make him feel like he's a better singer than he actually is :D

I was afraid you were gonna say that.

I forgot to mention not having to go outboard if possible. :D

The problem with this strategy is that if the effects cover up the deficiencies in the singer's voice only to the singer's ears, then it's gonna come out worse than ever!

It depends on the software not the card.

You can always pick up a cheapy reverb like a nanoverb and just use it for monitor verb.

After you go onto the original track, can't you buss the signal over to another track and have the effects there and monitor from that track, whilst the original track is recording the original dry signal?

Pretty Simple and should work.... If you Have to record on the wet track, in order to monitor... thats fine, just wipe it out later....
As long as you get that dry track, your ok...

Good Luck

Back