Putting a tape echo on top of PSU?

WarmJetGuitar

I'm one of these dumbasses who havn't got a rack yet.
Just got a Dynacord Echocord Mini from a mate and as it stands haven't got space for it anywhere but on top of the PSU for the desk. The PSU has a retro fitted fan and the there's almost a centimeter/0,39 inches between the units.

Wondering if this is a problem? Thinking as for fire hazard or magnetic builtup/interference?

Any experience on this matter would be very useful.

With interference you'd have to try it and see. Worst case you might have to brick it up somehow so that the echo unit is higher up, or try getting a sheet of metal in between them to act as an EM shield. I used an old baking tray for this at one point, it worked quite well.

As for the PSU, it might help if you said what kind of desk it was, and even that's assuming it's not a third-party supply e.g. Blue Dog.
The important questions are - is the fan sucking cool air into the PSU, or blowing hot air out? And are the vents on top if the PSU? What you want to avoid is the situation of the PSU's hot air being blown into the cool air intake of the Dynacord, or vice-versa. If they're both taking cool air in from the same place, or both expelling hot air in the same place that should be okay. The Copicat has IIRC a bottom-mounted fan, but the Dynacord appears not to so that's okay, hopefully.

JP dude, thanks a great deal :-) Sound advice.
It's a DDA Q 32 channel version. The PSU has been fixed up quite a bit by a great tech and he installed a fan as it had issues when I ran it for some hours. It's been perfect since. Must be honest to say I don't know if the fan is blowing or sucking (!) but I'll check it out on Thursday.

There's vents on both sides of the PSU with the fan being placed in the top. Fortunately the Echocord doesn't have a fan. I'll look into bricking it up.

Back