Puting a camcorder on a mic stand?

kybdplr

Is there a coupler or adaptor that I could use to attach a camcorder to an ordinary Mic Boom. I need to Video our gigs over the heads of the audience from the back and the largest Tripod I found is only 8 feet.
Were could I get some gadet that will do this ?

Thanks James
PS does anyone know the stadard threads or sizes of those devices?
A camera mount & Mic Boom

kybdplr said:
Is there a coupler or adaptor that I could use to attach a camcorder to an ordinary Mic Boom. I need to Video our gigs over the heads of the audience from the back and the largest Tripod I found is only 8 feet.
Were could I get some gadet that will do this

You might be able to find a monopod that will fit into a tripod collar. You can get an extra 4' or height or so out of a rig like that. Check with a camera shop.

There are two types of mic threads. The standard size is big enough that you can't do much with it other than screw a mic clip onto it. The smaller size (which requires a screw-on adapter for all but a handful of specialty mics/clips [ Edit: I'm told that this smaller size is standard in Europe]) is 3/8". A camcorder takes 1/4". I don't remember the thread density. You might be able to adapt that with some effort....

Short answer is you might be able to do it, but it's probably easier to use gaffer's tape and fasten a light-duty tripod to the side of a stepladder. I've done this before, back in my video production days---with an 'I can change bulbs in the ceiling of the auditorium'-size stepladder.

Basically, we hooked one or two legs over the brace that crossed between the two sides of the ladder. That way, the cross-braces of the tripod supported the camera, and all the tape did was keep the top of the tripod from falling sideways (and thus allowing the whole thing to subsequently fall).

(Note: if you do this, you do so at your own risk. Use extra tape. I do not take any responsibility for stunts like this. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions and exclusions may apply. See store for details. :D)

Standard U.S. Tripod mount is 1/4"-20.....1/4" diameter and 20 threads per inch. Euro is 3/8" diameter - don't know how many threads, though.

Don't know the specs on the mic stand adapters either. :o

Back