Put up some pics of your kit

You are a lucky man then, and I am as well mostly.

Actually, I was about to play a gig at Fiddlers Green, opening for POD and Korn. My new Aquarian snare head separated from the rim as I was tuning, 5 minutes before be were on. Thankfully, I had a backup snare. Defective head is the only thing I could come up with. Never happened again.

Sh*t happens.

You are a lucky man then, and I am as well mostly.

Actually, I was about to play a gig at Fiddlers Green, opening for POD and Korn. My new Aquarian snare head separated from the rim as I was tuning, 5 minutes before be were on. Thankfully, I had a backup snare. Defective head is the only thing I could come up with. Never happened again.

Sh*t happens.

I've had that happen where a head comes apart at the rim. I've never jambed a stick through a head though. I've also had the top layer split on two-ply tom heads, but still, the stick never went through it. Several times though I've busted the kick beater through the bass drum head. Not lately, but back in the day when I never changed the heads for any reason, kick heads would eventually wear out.

You can also use GC's online used ordering. Browse all of their stores online using keyword searches, find something you like, buy it, and have it shipped to you. If you don't like it, get a full refund at your local store. You have 30 days. I did that with an amp head. I actually returned it about 90 days later, but I raised hell and they worked with me. I got a full refund and another head that I'm still very happy with.

GC gets an overall bad rap from the internet cork-sniffers, but I've had nothing but good luck and good experiences with them. I'll take a city full of Guitar Centers over a bunch of overpriced and understocked mom and pop shops any day.

I actually agree. I bought a used pedal recently and took it back, my exact words were "this thing sounds about as bad as you can get with a pedal."

They laughed but took it back and gave me store credit (which is what I wanted).

How the fuck do you break a snare head anyway? I've been playing drums for over 20 years, and I've never broken a snare head. And I hit hard as shit. Were you playing way too old heads with broken sticks or something?

Well my main snare's head needed to be replaced but I didnt have time. I just cranked the shit out of it and it let go 2 songs in. The back up..I have no idea, it had a new head and it split too. I remember being pissed because we didnt have time for a sound check and my monitor mix was white noise.Back then I used 2B's and played way too loud, plus we were in houston! Nothing went right in houston. I remember 2 other times breaking snare heads, oddly enough both times were in Wichita Ks, 2 different gigs. The heads were one or two gigs old...I didnt have the funds to change heads after each gig, I usually would take them to their limit.

Okay well I set my shit up today and went pretty minimal like I said I was gonna try to do. Two less toms, two less cymbals. I'm using just the 13" rack on a snare stand and the 18" floor tom. Ride moved over the kick. I don't think I'll keep that RUDE crash/ride where it is. I'll probably replace it with the 20" 2002. We'll see how this goes. If I can get comfy with this, it could be my new live setup.

20120812_163434.jpg

20120812_163405.jpg

I vote for another floor tom and one more cymbal.....if this set up doesnt work out.

You don't get a vote. :laughings:

Anyway, I've played even more minimal kits than this. Back in my psychobilly days, my kit was a kick, snare, floor tom, ride cymbal.

Remo P3 snare head... very nice. The best there is. That's all I ever bought for my kit. I loved the sound too much to use anything else.

I use the built in drummer on my keyboard. I can download the midi then play around with it in Sonar/Cakewalk. I usually get a few built in rolls to work with too. It's a good starting point until I can get a real drummer to record drums for me. It gets me by....:)

Attachments

• yamaha-dgx-305.jpg
    yamaha-dgx-305.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 159
Bummer, I can't see any of the pics. I'm at work and they have alot of filters so....

I'll try again at home and will post my kit, (though reading some of the descriptions here I'm almost ashamed to show them in public now)

Couldnt really find a good pic of this kit. This is a Pearl ECX maple kit. Its probably the cheapest but best sounding kit Ive ever bought. Currently I have it stripped down and am putting a polyurethane coating on the inside of the shells. The good people at pearl told me that this was the only real difference between a "master series" maple shell and a export maple shell, except for the hardware and more time spent on the finish.
Im pretty much finished but debating if i wanna put some new covering's on em?

View attachment 73466

I think while you are modifying them(polyurethane inside shells) you should go ahead and put SUperHoop IIs on them and they will even sound better than Masters(die cast hoops)thats what i have on my sessions and love em so much that Im thinking seriously about putting SuperHoop IIs on my maple Visions ;)

Here is my main kit.
Hard to get it in a picture. 9 piece. Double bass (obviously) double ride and double snare.
I also have a Roland -20 kit with Hart Dynamics pads and e-cymbals, but I only use it for practice late at night.

DW1.jpg

I think while you are modifying them(polyurethane inside shells) you should go ahead and put SUperHoop IIs on them and they will even sound better than Masters(die cast hoops)thats what i have on my sessions and love em so much that Im thinking seriously about putting SuperHoop IIs on my maple Visions ;)

I have considered doing that, I wonder how much it would cost?

I have considered doing that, I wonder how much it would cost?

Well I was thinking putting them(SuperHoops IIs) on just the top heads and would cut the price in half and hopefully it would feel and sound twice as good :) and if it didnt then save money for the bottom heads at a later time ;)

Back