Push-pull output stages

michaelq

In reading an article on Amp output stages at:
http://www.aikenamps.com/SingleEnded.htm

I came across a few questions.
If anyone could further explain to me what a "center-tapped primary" is?
the context its used in is "in a push-pull amp the power supply is connected to the center-tapped primary"

also i was wondering what this meant...
"Also, even order harmonics and distortion products generated in the output stage are canceled out (translation: good for hi-fi buffs, possibly bad for guitar players!)"

and lastly
what is power supply sag, and why might it be desirable for a certain guitar player, or in what instances.

I know that some of these questions may depend entirely on the guitar player, but if the actual terms could be further explained to me than i know them know it would be greatly appreciated.

thansk. -michael

First of all, let me preface this by saying that, while I may be an expert on guitars, I am strictly an amateur when it comes to guitar AMPS.

First, you need to under stand how a tube works. What you have is a glass envelope filled with a vacuum. Inside that vacuum are at least two elements; the cathode and the anode. The anode is usually called a plate. There is also a heater in there, though that CAN be a part of the cathode. When the cathode gets hot, it starts to shed electrons which, as we all know, have a negative charge. The plate has a strong Positive charge, and so the electrons from the cathode are drawn towards the plate. That is a basic tube, a diode, which in guitar amps is used as a rectifier. This transforms the incoming AC to DC.

But there is more you can do with a tube. You can put in another element, called a grid (making a triode, by the by). Basically, the grid goes between the cathode and the plate. Now, if you are to put a negative charge on the grid, being as how like charges repel one another, fewer electrons will get through the grid to make there way to the plate. If you put a variable charge to the grid (such as the signal from a guitar's pickup) you will get a correspondingly variable number of electrons reaching the plate.

Transformers are, in essence, impedance matching devices. It also filters out DC. They are made of two (or more) coils of wire wrapped around a core of iron plates separated by a non-conductive material. (At least, that is how I understand it). The primary is the input to the transformer, and the secondary is the output. There are two basic types of output stage, push/pull and single ended. The other type of output section would be a single ended output. Most amps are push/pull. The only single ended one I can think of immediately is the Fender Champ, though there are others I am sure.

The output signal from the power tubes is applied to either end of the output transformer primary. The plate is (usually) the output from a tube, and it needs a positive DC charge. Power amp tubes (which are usually more complicated than a triode, but that is not really pertinent here) need to have that positive charge for the plate, and it comes through the output transformer. That charge, on a push pull amplifier, comes in at the center tap. On single ended output stages, the positive charge comes in at one end of the transformer while the signal comes in at the other end.

As for power supply sag; when you hit a note, the tubes draw a more power when that transient comes in. This temporarily drains the power supply, which causes a drop in available power and headroom, which means that you are doing a bit of compression while the power supply recovers.

Or at least, that is how I understand it all. As I said, I am a complete amateur when it comes to amps.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light,

For an "amateur", you seem to get it pretty well:p.

The transformer uses a source of DC voltage to source current. The tubes can't pass it, as tubes can only pass AC. In a single-ended amp, one end of the transformer is free, and can be connected directly to the power supply. In a push-pull amp, both ends have tubes on them, so a connection to the power supply is made in the electrical center of the primary winding, allowing the transformer to source the current it needs.

Sag is exactly how Light described it, and is a complex relationship between the rectifier, output transformer, and filter capacitors. The rectifier has the biggest effect, in an otherwise properly (in my mind) designed amp. A tube rectifier contributes to sag. A solid-state one does not.

Many players love an amp with a certain amount of sag, for the compression and sustain Light described. Some describe it as making the amp "sing". Hit a chord or note hard, there is an initial transient, followed by gain reduction (sag) and then sustain as the amp comes back to full power. These people feel solid-state rectifiers sound too "hard". Some prefer a solid-state rectifier or even a fully solid-state amp, because with high-speed playing, an amp with a lot of sag won't have good articulation. The amp can't deliver full power to each note played.

This is the reason for things like the Mesa/Boogie dual and triple rectifier amps. Multiple tube rectifiers keep the sag minimized at loud volumes and fast playing, but there is still some of the tube rectifier's characteristic sing and sustain.

As far as harmonics, I will assume you know what they are. Electronics produce harmonics above (and sometimes below) the fundamental of any signal that passes through them. Just the way it is, no getting around it. These harmonics are considered to be distortion. Some harmonic distortion is good in a guitar amp.

A word about distortion in this context- any deviation between the input and output signal of a device, like an amp, or mic pre, or mixer, is called distortion. The waveform is distorted, or changed. It doesn't mean overdrive or pedal type distortion. The most common source of distortion is harmonics induced in the circuit electronics. It is so common that most gear has a %THD, or Percent Total Harmonic Distortion spec. There is another kind, called intermodulation distortion, which relates how two signals interact in a device, but here the biggie is harmonic distortion.

Much is made of the difference between even and odd-order harmonic distortion. Though not 100% correct, and very simplified, the basic idea is that even sounds good, odd sounds bad, and that tube circuits make even-order harmonics, and solid-state makes odd. Like I said, not even really close to correct, but sort of a basic place to start to get the idea.

A certain amount of even-order harmonic distortion just plain sounds good in a guitar amp. It is ear-pleasing, giving a rich sound. The guitar amp is part of the sound, adding it's own character. In a hi-fi amp, the goal is as little distortion as possible, for the most accurate reproduction of the music, while the amp remains transparent. A guitar amp with no harmonic distortion sounds cold and sterile. Think of a really bad solid-state guitar amp, and how much emphasis is placed on how much a given solid-state amp "sounds like tube amp". This is done by trying to get rid of odd-order harmonic distortion, while adding even-order, in part. It must be pretty hard, as no one has done it really well yet, though some of the new SS stuff by people like Vox sounds good enough not to make me puke.

A push-pull amp by it's nature cancels out some harmonic distortion, both even and odd, and with other design factors, you can get the distortion pretty low, or add in 2nd order distortion. And also by nature has less %THD than a single-ended design, and so less of the pleasing 2nd order distortion. That is what is behind the statement that guy made. Thankfully, guitar amp makers don't go beyond the natural characteristics of the push-pull design, at least in tube amps.

These days, anyway. Rumor has it Leo Fender was "horrified" that people were turning his amps up far enough to distort, as one of his goals was to keep distortion to a minimum, as he favored country players, and designed many of his early amps for them. Hearing Dick Dale and Link Wray must have just about killed him, as he strove for a couple of years to completely eliminate distortion in his amps, before caving to the inevitable fact that people liked it. :)

Thanks so much Light and Easychair!

And easychair is right, you seem to be at least a novice on the subject.
I'm the amateur here, but if i get a couple more hundred of my questions answered the way you guys just did I might move up a notch :)
Thanks again!

Back