Pure MR8 tune.

DrummChris

Hey All,

Here's something I wanted to share that I recorded.

I sequenced a bass line (track 4), recorded live drums with two PZM mics (tracks 2 & 3), my buddy Billy on guitar (direct into track 1 with brit stack amp model and outboard effects), and my buddy Joe on keyboards on 5 & 6.

Everything was done with the MR-8 except the conversion to mp3.

Long live the little red box!

Wow, that sounded pretty damned good! All of that through the MR8 huh?

I was curious as to your mic placement since you only used two mics? I may be recording some drums soon and am limited in my mic selection...

I had never even considered using the onboard modeler/effects of the MR8, I guess I will have to reconsider!

cellardweller said:
Wow, that sounded pretty damned good! All of that through the MR8 huh?

I was curious as to your mic placement since you only used two mics? I may be recording some drums soon and am limited in my mic selection...

I had never even considered using the onboard modeler/effects of the MR8, I guess I will have to reconsider!

Thanks cellardweller!

I recorded the drums with two old Radio Shack PZM mics that I've had for years. They were mounted on cymbal stands. One in front of the kit about three feet high and four feet away pointed at both the kick and the center of the kit. The other was on a boom stand two feet above my left shoulder pointed at the snare drum. That was where they ended up sounding the best.

I'm saving up for some proper mics but hey, you gotta use what you have right?

I got really suckered on this site once by asking about a drummer on a mix -- turns out it was a machine! But your drummer is really outstanding, robot that he may be!

Too bad this didn't come out 15 (?) years ago. If the producers of Terminator I had heard it, they'd a found a way to get the Terminator and Sarah Connor um, "together," and would have used this for background. That's not a knock; I like your sound muchly.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

I'm still learning all the ins and outs of recording myself, so it's great to hear that I'm not screwing up too bad.

Great Job Chris! It has kind of a John Carpenter Soundtrack feel to it. I haven't tried the internal (or infernal) distortion on the MR-8 yet but it sounded alright.

Sounded Great (Have a question)

I am a newbie to home recording and am having trouble connecting up.
I have a Fostex MR-8 multitrack recorder, a Behringer UB1002 mixer, and a ZOOM RFX-300 multi effects processor.

I am having trouble routing to get a signal. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Ben

Back