purchase advise needed!

Bob Keelan

Hello everybody. My very lovely wife of nearly 10 years just surprised me tonight with a
very lovely gift of a Boss BR-1180CD digital recording studio. Awesome! I'm finally
graduating from my caveman 8-track cassette days.

Well, as many of you out there know, us musicians can be pretty tough to buy for as far as
our gear goes. I've been doing some research and I think that I can get something even a
little bit better for about the same money. She paid about a grand for the Boss which
is a 10 track(8 + 1 paired channel). It also has a CD-R/RW drive built in. At this point
in time I'm not exactly sure of all the internal goodies.

The 2 other models I've been looking at are the Yamaha AW16G (16 track, 8 + 4 paired)
& the Fostex VF160 (16 track, all individual i think).

If anyone out there can offer me some insight on these models or any others in roughly
the same price area I would much appreciate it. Thanks alot.

bob

Bob, don't break your wife's heart! The 118o will work fine. Now start adding outboard gear that can bypass the pedestrian preamps and A-D converter in the Boss. Get a good outboard pre with a good digital out, say DBX386 or Joemeek VC1Qcs with the digital upgrade, some mics appropriate to what you want to record, and you're good to go.-Richie

What she got you is fine. Get some mics. They will be more useful than anything else.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back