Punkish/Rock song demo--any thoughts?

TravisK

We recorded this simply as a way to remember our first song written as a group and then to pick apart what we didn't like and change other aspects of it.

So essentially this song was part of a preproduction for our demo which we'll record soon.

This was done with Cakewalk Sonar 4 and an Aardvark Q10.

Don't pay attention to intonation or tuning or playing issues, just songwriting and mixing problems.

So if a guitar sounds a little off, it probably is. We didn't work hard on it as it wasn't official, but the mixing and songwriting is. So let me know what should be done for when we rerecord it!

Any and all feedback as to levels, better micing, harmonies, transitions, effects, panning, mastering...the whole nine yards of production and writing would be great.

Thanks!
Travis of Good Beef

song location--
5 Times In Thailand High Quality (256KB/s)
5 Times In Thailand Low Quality (128KB/s

Listened to 256. Do you have a bass in there? I can't hear a bass at all if it exists. And the guitars seem like they have been bass cut at too high a frequency. There's just not any umph to it. What are you monitoring on?

If you had a good deep bass it may tie the whole thing together.

H2H

well--we don't have a bassist yet, and i was playing bass, and my bass skills are not the greatest, so i did cut it back. I can bring it up in the mix some, but it seemed like the intonation on this bass (a cheap ibanez that i was borrowing) was way off. So some of the notes were not on....but when i get back to the studio, i'll pull it up some and repost it that way.

Anything else? (thanks for that, and i am monitoring with a set of sony shelf speakers through a nady power amp until i get real monitors....i'm still too poor to get those yet--though i should be able to buy some m-audios soon! :D )

You can get away with using bookshelf speakers. But what you have to do is play some cds with songs you know, and like the sound of, and really listen close to them. Listen for space, for how things are in the mix, where levels are for the bass and the snare.kick drums. Listen to panning and how everything blends. Listen to alot of the music you like, do it ALOT. the same song, over and over..trying to pull out things you didn't hear before. When you think youve done enough, do it for longer. IF you understand your speakers, you will understand your own mix. Thats the best advise I can ever give to anyone.

H2H

yeah, i really love the sound of the drums from around the fur by the deftones...some of the best sound kick and snare ever, so i have listened to that a lot. but i should do more on these speakers for sure. so far my method has been mix down, burn to cd and go run around to various stereos (car, living room, other car, boom box and so on) for the best sound and come back and fix it...but it'd be nice to get it first try.

speaking of drums, how can i make the toms sound less ringy and more crisp? they seem dull and decay too long. I have a noise gate on with a close time that makes it natural, but it's still a tad long. I don't like to try dampening these toms prior to recording as they sound great standalone. I am using samson qtoms on the toms for mics and i really have no other mics to spare for this besides 2 sm58s. i think my kick and snare are pretty good personally, it's those darn tom toms!

thanks for the advice so far--it's nice to get input from people from all over!

I agree with the guy who said you need more bass.
I think the snare is too echo-ey and you panned too much on the guitars.
I like the vocals, they stick out well.

what does everyone else think about the panned guitars? i really dig bands like ac/dc and led zepplin and it seems that their guitars are very hard left and right

i'll try closer to the middle in the mix next time i'm at the studio, but i really do prefer them to be panned in rock...my personal preference!

and the bass will definitely be turned up!

Back