Punk Rock Track for you consideration

DogmaticVox

Meh...
Hey guys,

This is a song from an album I did a few years ago. I got the tracks back out and started to try and remix them. Here's my first go-round. Let me know what you guys think, especially the guitars.

DOGMATIC - Death of Me

-Garry

Hey guys,

This is a song from an album I did a few years ago. I got the tracks back out and started to try and remix them. Here's my first go-round. Let me know what you guys think, especially the guitars.

DOGMATIC - Death of Me

-Garry

The guitars and the vocals sound too melodic for what I think of as punk.

The guitars and the vocals sound too melodic for what I think of as punk.

I would say it's more in the vein of the punk sound of bands like Strung Out, Hot Water Music, Propaghandi, etc. But yeah, it could be just "hard rock" or "post punk without the bitchy screaming" or "melodic light metal" haha.

I would say it's more in the vein of the punk sound of bands like Strung Out, Hot Water Music, Propaghandi, etc. But yeah, it could be just "hard rock" or "post punk without the bitchy screaming" or "melodic light metal" haha.

haha laughing at me not knowing a single one of those bands. god im old

Sorry. Don't know much about "punk". It just sounds like good rock to me.

Been playing for 45 years.

Between the "I'm a growley bad***" vocals and the squeadilly metal guitars, I'd call it modern hard rock. I mean, there's a definite punk influence to it, but I think it's so far removed, that calling it punk is just asking for people to second guess you.

Anyway.

The mix is mostly pretty good. A lot of the kick hits are really clicky and loud. It's kind of distracting. The guitar tone sounds pretty solid. (Although I don't actually like guitar squeals. They're kinda cheesey.)
Other than the kick, the levels seem to be pretty good relative to each other on a first listen.

It's not what I would call punk either (bit then I am old enough to remember the first time it came around) more metal or rock. love the vocals. Can't really fault it, although would agree the the drums, or at least the kick, is a little prominent. Like the song.

I wouldn't consider this punk, but not for the reasons the other guys mentioned. There's lots of melody in punk music. It's not all snot and screaming. What kills this song for me are those cheesetastic pinch harmonics and, while being relatively fast paced, it seems kind of boring and sterile.

I think it sounds pretty good overall. The kick level is fine, but it's initial clicky transient is way too much. You spiked the wrong frequency for the attack. Tame the click, and re-EQ the kick just a hair so it's more body and less click. It sounds like a plastic basketball. Not good. everything else seems fine.

Wow when it kicks in at the start dude! That was loud. I didn't expect it to be so loud compared to the intro.
So I would bring the intro up in volume or the rest of the mix down in relation. The fade in from intro to the song could be better. Maybe a slightly longer fade in and smoother.

The Mix sounds good. I like the guitars. The low end is a bit loose from the bass mostly, but also some of the kicks and toms are overpowering a little.
I'd work on the low end of the bass guitar.
Also I'd like to hear a bit more reverb and/or delay on the main vocals.

Well done, sounds nice and cool song!

G

I would call that speed-metal or thrash or something. Sounds pretty good but a bit too metalish for my personal musical taste (nowdays anyway).

Performance is good and it seems pretty balanced mix-wise. I would probably just limit the number of those guitar wammy squeal thingys... again thats a taste thing :)

Good job

It's that pop punk new radio rock stuff. You know all the trendy shit :D

Pinch harmonics only work well in Metal and when you pinch a harmonic on a open string and use the Floyd rose to dive bomb it sounds wicked :D

What's funny is that the two guitar players constantly played those pinch harmonics with a wink and a nod and thought it was hilarious and it got really old really fast. I've told them that I'm going to find a way to "erase" those stupid fucking squeals out of these songs. Doing it once is okay, but over and over...
Unless you're Zakk Wylde or the ghost of Randy Rhoads, then you shouldn't be allowed to play them.

As far as the EQ on the kick - I hear what you guys are saying. I'll lower the db of the higher frequency spike and nudge it a little to the left on the spectrum too.

Back