Punk Rock Jingle - Listen and Critique please!

Polska_77

Hello!

A good buddy of mine has a friend who runs a punk rock show at a local radiostation, and he asked me to come up with a Jingle for his show. The piece had to be 1 minute long, and punkrock. I decided to have a go at it, and this is what I came up with.

The guy will be recording some talking over it but that's not my buisness.

Note: this is a premix, and I would really appreciate some comments on the performance, recording and the mix, I have to turn the thing in after Easter so I have some time to work on it.

EDIT: Updated LINK:

All comments much appreciated!!

Last edited:
Pretty cool little tune. Definitely has a brit-punk vibe to it. Sort of like really early Clash.

I think the drums can stand out a little more. This is pretty straight-ahead little rocker, so I think the snare could be right up front and more prominent. The guitars sound pretty authentic, but maybe they could use more of a raunchy edge. I think the solo at the end is way too loud and should sit more in the mix - especially if theres gonna be talking over it. Cool little tune though. Sounds good. :)

P.S. - Whats up with your sig? What does that mean?

Greg_L said:
Pretty cool little tune. Definitely has a brit-punk vibe to it. Sort of like really early Clash.

I think the drums can stand out a little more. This is pretty straight-ahead little rocker, so I think the snare could be right up front and more prominent. The guitars sound pretty authentic, but maybe they could use more of a raunchy edge. I think the solo at the end is way too loud and should sit more in the mix - especially if theres gonna be talking over it. Cool little tune though. Sounds good. :)

P.S. - Whats up with your sig? What does that mean?
The naggers part? You gotta watch The South Park mang... :D

Song has a pretty big bottom end for a punk tune...I like it, but thinning out teh lows might be beneficial if vocals are going to be done. I agree with Greg on the solo....it's a bit loud if you want it to go with some words...

Fun tune though. Could be extended into a song really easy.

Greg_L said:
Lol. I love South-Park but don't watch it regulalrly. Only if I catch it on.
It was a game show....The answer was Naggers.....and it aint what he said.... :D

I would've gone for a bigger ending, as opposed to a fade out. I probably wouldn't have done a solo either. The sound itself is pretty good, although you might want to cut some of the mids out to make room for his voice. The particular frequencies depend on what type of voice he has.

Thanks a LOT for the listen Guys!

@Greg
What exactly do you mean by raunchy edge?

And yes the sig is about a SP episode, if you didn't get a chance to see it here's a site and forum about SP you may find interesting things there http://mrtwig.net/

@ Dogman,

I swept out some lows, it does sound better. THX

@ IronFlippy

I was thinking about that, and I'll probbably do an alternative version minus the solo.

I redid the solo turned it down a noch, Brought the snare up a little. As far as the talking, I don't think he'll want to talk over the whole minute, so I guess the solo at the end is ok. And I'm not sure If he wanst to just turn down the volume for the talking or if he wants me to give him space for the vocals, ill try to find out.

Here's the updated link:

Not many real punk bands played solos so I'd prefer a different ending - more cacophony less structure.
Otherwise good oh!
What's with the confederate flag? - it's NOT a symbol of rebellion in the sense of turning over the old to replace with the new. It's asymbol of refusal to change. It's a symbol of conservatism, as well as a symbols of some very unpleasant goings on. It's been adopted as rebellious or rather cleverly promoted as such. Look into the history of it. never adopt a symbol you're uncertain of the origins of. The Nazis made a silly mistake with the swaztika - old Hindu symbol of fertility when turned the righ way around.

rayc said:
Not many real punk bands played solos so I'd prefer a different ending - more cacophony less structure.
Otherwise good oh!
What's with the flag? - it's NOT a symbol of rebellion in the sense of turning over the old to replace with the new. It's asymbol of refusal to change. It's a symbol of conservatism, as well as a symbols of some very unpleasant goings on. It's been adopted as rebellious or rather cleverly promoted as such. Look into the history of it. never adopt a symbol you're uncertain of the origins of. The Nazis made a silly mistake with the swaztika - old Hindu symbol of fertility when turned the righ way around.

ThX for the feedback.

Yes, I'm aware of the meaning of the confederate flag. And that's exactly why it's there. CP/DP stands for Conservative Punk / Division Poland. It's a rebellion against punkrock becoming a hippie, leftist vegetarian clique that tells people how to dress and live their lives. That's not what punkrock was about in the first place IMO. But thanks for the concern ;)

Oh and plenty punk bands played solos, but yes I'll do a sololess version too.

Polska_77 said:
Thanks a LOT for the listen Guys!

@Greg
What exactly do you mean by raunchy edge?
I just mean that vintage brit hi-gain single-coil buzz that was popular on most english punk. Theres nothing at all wrong with your tone, I'm just saying I can hear it with edgier guitars.

Polska_77 said:
ThX for the feedback.

It's a rebellion against punkrock becoming a hippie, leftist vegetarian clique that tells people how to dress and live their lives.
so im assuming your not a big nofx fan?

NOFX is about as left as they come. Personally, none of that shit matters to me. I prefer politics to stay out of music, but I listen anyway. You can be pro-government or anti-establishment, I don't care. A good song is a good song.

yeah i pretty much have to agree with you greg i just read that one line and all i could think about is nofx :D but maybe the hippie thing doesnt describe them .... never trust a hippie :rolleyes:

tbone36109 said:
so im assuming your not a big nofx fan?

Not really, but not cause of their political views, I just don't like that california "happy" melodic punkscene. They have some decent songs, but I'm more ito British style punk rock, the only exeptions being the Ramones And Misfits.

Last edited:
Polska_77 said:
Not really, but not cause of their political views, I just don't like that california "happy" melodic punkscene. They have some decent songs, but I'm more ito British style punk rock, the only exeptions being the Ramones And Misfits.
Nice instumentation. I'd like to hear the bass walk around a bit more. Nice sound on the bass BTW. The guitar sound is almost there for me. But it's missing something. Maybe it's not the "edge" so much as the distortion is a little too smooth. Was the guitar recorded through a tube amp? Maybe something a little more ala Buzzcocks (or ironically my favorite punk guit sound Joy Division/Warsaw) with a solid state distortion. More grit for lack of a better term. For a jingle I think it's good content. My playback rig here isn't to great so I won't comment further. Keep up the good work.

On a side note, tell me there aren't racial elements at work in your sig. It'll boost your credibility with me (if you care).

ridgeback said:
Nice instumentation. I'd like to hear the bass walk around a bit more. Nice sound on the bass BTW. The guitar sound is almost there for me. But it's missing something. Maybe it's not the "edge" so much as the distortion is a little too smooth. Was the guitar recorded through a tube amp? Maybe something a little more ala Buzzcocks (or ironically my favorite punk guit sound Joy Division/Warsaw) with a solid state distortion. More grit for lack of a better term. For a jingle I think it's good content. My playback rig here isn't to great so I won't comment further. Keep up the good work.

Thanks dude, the guitars are recorded direct, no interface no mics, just guitar, cable and amplitube.(BTW you asking if it was a tube amp was a big compliment)THX
I had a load of family over so I couldn't work on the track maybe I'll try to mess with the guitars a little later.

On a side note, tell me there aren't racial elements at work in your sig. It'll boost your credibility with me (if you care).

Read through the thread... The correct answer is nAggers you bloody racist :D :D :D :D

i just noticed i didnt even comment on the song haha sorry im about like everyone else its good but i would either change the solo or get rid of it
and as another side note....i really love southpark hahaha

Personally I think its a cheesy song arrangment and the chord struction doesnt really sound that great although your playing does show something.

Big Buzzcocks fan and I dig this. A little thin and maybe a little too much high-mids or highs in the snare. On the other hand you can't change it 'cause it's completely period accurate. Really drums and bass are perfect, guits maybe just a smidge too fuzzy.

One minute long and punk rock: mission accomplished.

Back