Punk on the Radio!

tonypgl

A local radio station wants to broadcast one of our songs. The DJ told me to "do something to make it sound a little better" So i really need your advices. I've posted a thread with this song before, but now i've used some compressors, and i've rided some faders. It sounds kind of crowded to me. Also i know that for radio edit songs the vocals has to be about +6db higher than the CD version.. is this correct?

Anyway listen for yourself, and would appreciate any competent advice.
Listen or download by clicking here.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the opportunity to put some of your stuff on the radio. This is a very good song - I remember it from the first post. The only thing that stands out is the vocals are louder in the first verse and the last verse, but sound different/compressed in the middle. I prefer the compressed vocals in the middle because they sit better in the mix overall but then the amount of compression might be too much IMHO. I'm not experienced with radio requirements though so I can't help you there.. Still the tune rocks !

I'm going to be very straight-forward on how I think this mix can be improved. I hope this is what you're looking for. The first thing that jumped out at me when I listened to this was the very direct-in sounding bass tone. No amount of compression/limiting can ever seem to solve or mask this problem (I have this problem often myself). Perhaps you could score a nice bass amp to get a better tone. The second thing that jumped out at me was the kick panned to the right; I would definitely follow the cookie cutter panning for drums with the kick and snare centered, especially if this is to be heard by a wide audience. The vocals seem overcompressed; that or they're just really loud and the entire mix was squashed by compression. Lastly, I hear some minor intonation issues in your rhythm guitar tracks. The guitar tone is decent, but leaves a lot to be desired.

I wish you the best of luck with your radio debut!

Thanks ido... i'm excited myself for beeing on the radio :) , i'm hoping that next friday could listen it in my car, from the radio. :) :) :)
I've compressed the first and third verse like you said, and you were right, now it sits better on the mix. (if i could i'd give you some rep points :p )
Also i've centered the BD and the snare. But the guitar and the bass tone are bad because of my 5$ sound card. :mad: I'm getting a delta in 41 days... and counting... ;)
I'll post the download link to the modifed mp3 later, gotta go to work now... to get that delta and that zildjian ;)

The snare sound is a bit like beating a can.
In the end the only part of the drums that come through with any non-electronicness is the snare.
Don't
Ride the faders all you like but back off on the compressor.
The vox are fine & the guitar is OK too.
The change at 1.50+ is a nice variation esp the megaphone/telephone vox.
The vocals are a little too loud for my taste.
The bass is a bit M.I.A. throughout.
the quiet reprise at 3.12 isn't really necessary - or at least should be altered if used - maybe tremelo the guitar, or the voice ir something.
Nice work
Keep at it
When will radios in Australia get to play it?
Cheers
rayC

Missing In Action ...... means it could come up a bit and be more defined

Is it a PIRATE radio station?

Good song. Cant give advice on mixing, but my advice about the song in general would be to get rid of the bass I V VI IV intro - been done sooo many times.

Back