Pulling song from vocals

tddrummer

Does anyone know how to rip a song from a vocal track so that the only thing used will be the vocals??

I realize that due to all the mixing that goes on in studios that this will not be perfect with maybe a few instruments bleeding in but I dont mind that.

If anyone could help, I really want to figure this out.

Use a karaoke processor/vocal eliminator plug in to remove the vocals from the track, then mix the resulting file back into the original track with the polarity inverted. The final result will be imperfect but perhaps usable.

About the best you can do is to use a mid/side processing plug to isolate the center channel from the sides, as most times the vocal can be found in the center. This will eliminate all side channel information.

The problem is whatever else is panned center will come with the vocal also. A bit of high-pass filter might help filter some of the kick drum and bass that's probably also center, but you'll never get rid of it all without messing up the vocal also. Plus whatever else that's not bass-heavy that's center panned can't be filtered without filtering the vocal also. So you're stuck withthat stuff too.

G.

Hook your Playstation 3 up to your recording inputs.
get the rock band video game.
Setup all the instruments to play except vocals.
Turn off the audience/crowd ambience and other sound effects.
Turn on the "NO FAIL" Mode
Pick the song you want and don't play any of the instruments.
Record your Full studio Acapella.

This actually works, i've gotten quite a few acapellas this way. This game has over a 2000 song library, you're bound to find what you're looking for.

If you've got the money, the new Rock Band 3 even has Harmony Vocal parts added. So you can seperate the Harmonies and get every section of the song broken down to single layers. Its pretty cool what they've done. And sweet for somebody that wants to get the layers.

If you really know what you're doing you could also just pop the game into your computer and figure out how to extract the individual tracks, considering they are on there. I don't know how to do that.

and I return with better news.

I'm actually not sure what song your looking to get vocals from, BUT:

There is a site called Fretsonfire. Its a .com site that under the TUNE POSTING section they have almost every song there is seperated for you. Guitar, bass, vocals, drums. I just downloaded in bloom by nirvana and its hilarious to hear how bad he sounds and how many effects are on his voice. DEFINITELY used an autotune to make the melodies.

Matter of fact, I'm going to post it up.

Why not?

G.

Well, I was just needling you. Really.

But, I could have sworn there were a few threads where you vehemently said that we should never assume that vocals (or anything else) SHOULD go in the center or anywhere else. So, I found it funny you said what you said in your post above.

Of course vocals usually are in the center. I was wasn't calling you out on that. Just injecting a little soft-punch-to-your-shoulder-humor.:D

Sorry.:o

But, I could have sworn there were a few threads where you vehemently said that we should never assume that vocals (or anything else) SHOULD go in the center or anywhere else. So, I found it funny you said what you said in your post above.
I figured that's where you were coming from, Rams. But rememeber, there's a world of difference between what we can often assume that a large number of others did and what we should assume that we should do ourselves.

Yes, vocals and bass and kick are often center panned, and many times for a good reason (and sometimes for not-so-good reasons, too). Which is why it's a sensibile idea to see if that's the case when we want to seperate out vocals.

When we mix our own tracks, though, it is the reason that should come first, not the conclusion. Sending those things right down the center should be done only when it makes sense to do it, not because that's what someone else did.

G.

You want to *isolate* the vocal?

It'd be easier separating a cake into the eggs, flour and sugar that made it.

Gotta agree here, isolating the vocals cleanly is gonna be next to impossible. Reversed karaoke seems the way, but how does karaoke remove the vocal? I'm guessing a frequency filter. Kinda like the original Dolby noise reduction for cassettes. Vocals tend to lie in a certain frequency spectrum. For Karaoke, usually done drunk and stupid, removing those frequencies will likely remove enough of the vocal to be usable for drunk fun, it'll also remove instruments but you're listening to the drunk singer anyway. Reverse that, however, and the removed vocal will be horribly attenuated and full of bleed from the instruments.

Have to add one of the best nights I ever had in a bar was for karaoke, some bint got on a TRIED to do Don't Cry For Me Argentina, she was convinced she was that good. Well she'd won the last 6 weeks in a row, she didn't get it that she was the funniest. Nearly wet me jeans that night. Let me put it this way:

Hotel room in Toronto: 150
Beer in the bar: 5 bones a go
watching some drunk tart think she can sing show tunes: priceless.:D

Use a karaoke processor/vocal eliminator plug in to remove the vocals from the track, then mix the resulting file back into the original track with the polarity inverted. The final result will be imperfect but perhaps usable.

clever... dealing with double negatives is always a weak point for me. :)

s

i thought you could buy acapella's and instumentals for remixing online for just about any song....??

Back