Pulling knobs on a strat

Fade

Not really a recording question, but I figured someone here would be able to help. I am replacing a pickup on my strat and I was wondering what the best way is to pull the knobs, without damaging them or the tapers, so that I can remove the pick guard and get at the goodies inside. Thanks for your advice.

Thanks guys. There are no set screws or anything, Zaphod, but I didn't know how well they are glued on.

They should not be glued on. They are a press fit - the pot shaft is splined, and maybe split longitudinally. With slow, even pressure they should pull straight up.

Using dental floss per SHEPPARDB, or even a very small flat-blade screwdriver (gently, with something to protect the pick guard) can help you get underneath the knobs.

Hmm... it's been a while since I opened up a Strat, but... you should be able to remove the pickguard without removing any of the volume/tone knobs.

Fade said:
Not really a recording question, but I figured someone here would be able to help. I am replacing a pickup on my strat and I was wondering what the best way is to pull the knobs, without damaging them or the tapers, so that I can remove the pick guard and get at the goodies inside. Thanks for your advice.

You don't need to pull the knobs off; the pots are attached to the pickguard. Just take off the strings, take out the pickguard screws, and lift.

stewmac.com sells a nice knob puller for only $34.95. it's expensive, but you could easily make your own from their design.

ggunn said:
You don't need to pull the knobs off; the pots are attached to the pickguard. Just take off the strings, take out the pickguard screws, and lift.

yeah i fixed a pickup problem inside my strat and i was worried about having to take them off, but it turns out i didnt even need to.

Unless you are changing the pots you shouldn't need to remove the knobs. If you do, they will USUALLY just pull right off, so give that a try first. If it seems to be taking excessive force, then you need to find another way. The Stew Mac tool, which I have, is fine, but VERY expensive unless you need it a lot. I actually use it mostly for pulling the anchors for TOM bridges. If you are going to use a flathead screwdriver, you are better off with the largest one which will fit under the knob, as it gives you more surface area. Just be carful with the added leverage. You could easily dent you pickguard. You might want to put a thin piece of wood or something under the fulcrum point to protect the guard. Try working your way around the knob with your prying device, whatever it is. You might also try wiggling the knob - GENTLY - with you hands. Work one edge up, then the opposite, etc.

I have to admit, these days I just grab the Stew Mac Jig.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Scottgman said:
Hmm... it's been a while since I opened up a Strat, but... you should be able to remove the pickguard without removing any of the volume/tone knobs.
Right you are. hehe. Oh well, now I know I can slip the knobs off if I ever need to. Minus one stock single coil, plus one Duncan humbucker. Seems like a nice upgrade so far by my short evaluation time. And I must say, my soldering skills are top notch :p Now I just have to wonder why Seymour Duncan doesn't feel the need to show the shield ground wire in their schematics? No biggie really. When in doubt, solder to ground is my motto :D

Wow, negative rep for replacing a pickup, that's pretty weak. Perhaps whoever is doling out the criticism who like to come forward and give me some tips on getting the tone I am looking for out of the stock single coils instead of offering a "punch in the cock".

Back