Publishers, copyrights, PRO's.....

peopleperson

I'm so sorry.
Is there a good spot somewhere that explains these basic concepts? I've been reading quite a bit and I'm still a little confused. Particularly the part about making yourself your own publisher.

I'm essentially looking to sign up with ascap, but I want to make sure all my stuff is in order and figured someone in here knows this stuff.

Thanks in advance.

There are sooo many books and sites that provide information - it is really hard to suggest one over another. Read everything you can get your hands on (vs. say one book/site).

It is very easy to publish your own material - but if you do not have distribution or a way to get the material into the hands of someone who can promote/record it - then self publishing means nothing.

I like to compare it to writing a book. If you write a book and self "publish" a copy, and then have that copy sit on your bookshelf in you bedroom - no one will buy it. You need to get the book into the bookstores - that is what an outside publisher does.

I would rather get 50% of something (the publisher getting the other 50%) then get 100% of nothing (having the book on my bedroom bookshelf).

Back