PTP vs PCB in a digital world

Oracle231

I am having an interesting discussion with my musician son. He claims anything other than PTP construction, no matter the constructor, provides inferior sound - specifically in pro class studio mixing boards. He claims that the increased cost of a custom PTP board should not be a consideration when upgrading studio equipment even in a digital world. My experience has been the opposite in the energy sector I work. Most if not all the electronic equipment used is PCB stuff. The environment used can only be described as extreme. For example, down hole electronics are design to work in pressures up to 20,000 psi and 400 F. 300 F and 10,000 psi is common. My musician claims that audio is so different that any comparison to my experience is wrong minded. Anyone want to weigh in on the conversation? ..

He claims anything other than PTP construction, no matter the constructor, provides inferior sound - specifically in pro class studio mixing boards.

Not really knowing anything about point to point vs PCB's, it is still easy to argue that 'inferior sound' is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Or in this case, the ear. You can't debate opinion.

Not really knowing anything about point to point vs PCB's, it is still easy to argue that 'inferior sound' is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Or in this case, the ear. You can't debate opinion.

Oh, but many try...

As far as I know, the main advantage of PTP is that it's more reliable in guitar amps. When they get bashed about a lot, the PTP connections are less likely to break.

Also, when building valve amps using high voltages, the PCB traces need to be very thick. It's easier to use wire.

While I don't have an opinion, so don't debate me about not having one. Here is link that at least lets me understand the conversation. ptp/pcb

All good points

After reading everyone's comments which I appreciate, the answer comes down to reliability. From my experience PCB can be well designed to eliminate crosstalk and mechanical fatigue issues. A manufacture that uses good PCB construction techniques can provide a level of excellence unattainable with hand wired units, amps or otherwise. The FAA and Military spec for PCB is more than necessary for standard audio work. Good and competent sound boards are available if one takes the time to look at the manufacturing specifications. Consequently I come down on the side of PCB for repeatability. Consider this, every ear is different, every speaker is different, every listing environment is different and every recording studio has its own acoustics. The only item that can provide consistency among all the variable attenuators we live in is printed circuit boards. My sense is the artist ear is a bit prejudice, it may hear highs better than lows and visa versa. So why spend money needlessly? ..

Absolutely. If PCB's can be built to withstand the violence of the launch and re-entry of an ICBM, they can handle any guitar riff Ace Jr. can throw at it. Even with when cranked to 11 :D

If it ever came down to lobbing nukes around the world, I'd hate to think the future of the free world relied upon someone's hand-wiring capabilities. :rolleyes: :laughings:

Not to start a flame war but a well done pcb is every bit as good as a ptp. Period. PTP is easier to work on to "Mod" etc. Go open up an Amek, SSl or the like and tell me that an old console is better. Yep I said that. I bet the computers we are using is not PTP. :)

I have worked on old desks and new desks. The craftsmanship of older/analog stuff is wonderful but to state that modern high end is poor by comparison is rubbish.

Thats the answer

Ok, the votes are in. Point to Point wiring not as dependable as Printed Circuit Boards. Only problem is those that live in the clouds still think PTP wiring is better because they can see the wires. Interesting result don't you think? ..

While it may be true that PCBs can be built to an outstanding level (something I do not doubt at all), they are usually not in guitar amps. I've had both PCB and handwired valve amps and have had loose connections in the PCB ones but not the handwired. On the other hand, the most reliable amp I've got is a Sessionette 75, I've only ever had one loose connection on that and that was the power caps on the PCB.

Back