PT9 and large virtual instrument libraries - the truth?

Arbee

Simple question - are PT9 users with a "decent" computer and large VST instrument libraries (EW, Omnisphere, Ivory etc) REALLY having the huge VST/RTAS issues like I read online?

If not, I'll be going with PT9 but if so - Cubase 6 or Sonar X1P it'll have to be.

Thanks,

Robert

It depends what issues you are on about? RTAS is a bit of an unstable platform in my opinion, and the vst-rtas wrapper is known to be a bit problematic but I think its great. I have both Pro Tools and cubase, I use Pro Tools mainly cause I like the work flow but. . . . lets put it this way, when I open up a VI in cubase even large ones open up in little less then a blink, in Pro Tools I can count the seconds and in those seconds your hoping that the "not responding" message doesn't come up.

Thanks, exactly those kind of issues (and worse on lesser spec'd PC's). Being let's say "mature age" and ex-pro way back, I can relate to PT's way of working really well but Cubase 6 (and even Sonar X1P) seems to have the VST thing much better managed.

One thing people are doing at the moment in order to bypass PT's 32bit 4g RAM limit is to use reaper as a rewire slave into Pro Tools. That means you can use as much of your computers resources as are availible. and that way you could work with Pro Tools workflow but have the reliability of VST instruments. I really wish I could rewire cubase into pro tools

There are people out there who will have problems with anything...

If you have 64 tracks of "skinny" VI's you might well have problems.

If you have 2 tracks of "fat" VI's you might well not have problems.

Look at which plugins and how many tracks you intend to use.

Then may do a somewhat more specific post. And ignore advice from anybody who is not actually using a configuration like what you're looking at.

Just like anywhere else, YMMV, but there are posters on here who figuratively came on here a month ago looking for advice on buying their first interface and DAW, and who are now running around giving out advice on everything from room acoustics to 16-track analog recorders.

Which is why I'm not giving you any "on point" advice; I simply don't yet have the requisite experience...

There are people out there who will have problems with anything...

If you have 64 tracks of "skinny" VI's you might well have problems.

If you have 2 tracks of "fat" VI's you might well not have problems.

Look at which plugins and how many tracks you intend to use.

Then may do a somewhat more specific post. And ignore advice from anybody who is not actually using a configuration like what you're looking at.

Just like anywhere else, YMMV, but there are posters on here who figuratively came on here a month ago looking for advice on buying their first interface and DAW, and who are now running around giving out advice on everything from room acoustics to 16-track analog recorders.

Which is why I'm not giving you any "on point" advice; I simply don't yet have the requisite experience...

Woah! have I annoyed you in someway shape or form.
I was offering advice from experience.

I think I'll give the Mbox 3 Pro/PT9 bundle a try. If the virtual instrument thing becomes an issue I'll switch to Cubase 6 (or use both which seems to be fairly common).

Thanks

Woah! have I annoyed you in someway shape or form.
I was offering advice from experience.

Just because one post follows another doesn't necessarily mean anything other than one post was submitted before another one.

When I'm addressing a post to a specific person I will either address them by name or I will cut-and-paste the information from their post that I am discussing.

Absent something in my post indicating that I am addressing a specific person it is usually safe to assume that I am not doing so.

I have no problem with you, nor do I think there is anything wrong with your work-around.

Are we cool?

From researching my anxieties with PT9 and virtual instrument libraries further it really does seem that VE Pro is the way to go to host the Vi's and bypass the PT 32 bit memory issues. I assume I don't actually need multiple computers to do this. I have an i7/24Gb RAM/3 disk setup(for system, samples and projects) and assume I can run VE Pro locally alongside PT?

Failing that, I'll probably saddle up Cubase 6 instead as they really do seem very really close these days and I won't have to worry about any of this 32 bit bs. The Sibelius factor has been swaying me in the PT direction but perhaps I can do what I need with Cubase notation then export to Sibelius if I need big orchestral scores to look good.

There's never "one best answer" is there?!

Thanks

From researching my anxieties with PT9 and virtual instrument libraries further it really does seem that VE Pro is the way to go to host the Vi's and bypass the PT 32 bit memory issues. I assume I don't actually need multiple computers to do this. I have an i7/24Gb RAM/3 disk setup(for system, samples and projects) and assume I can run VE Pro locally alongside PT?

Failing that, I'll probably saddle up Cubase 6 instead as they really do seem very really close these days and I won't have to worry about any of this 32 bit bs. The Sibelius factor has been swaying me in the PT direction but perhaps I can do what I need with Cubase notation then export to Sibelius if I need big orchestral scores to look good.

There's never "one best answer" is there?!

Thanks

Thats right, VE pro can give you more usable RAM and bypass the 32bit limitations. But don't be too worried about 32bit being such a problem, most of the time when people are having problems with RAM it comes down to lazyness in setup. Don't forget the rewireing reaper into Pro Tools solution, over in the DUC (official PT forum) a large amount of the community are having great results with this workaround. plus your using VST VI's instead of RTAS. . . VST is alot better at handleing VI's than RTAS IMO.

Just because one post follows another doesn't necessarily mean anything other than one post was submitted before another one.

When I'm addressing a post to a specific person I will either address them by name or I will cut-and-paste the information from their post that I am discussing.

Absent something in my post indicating that I am addressing a specific person it is usually safe to assume that I am not doing so.

I have no problem with you, nor do I think there is anything wrong with your work-around.

Are we cool?

Haha, no worries man :)

Back