PRS Santana/Tremonti SE

insider33

OK, I'm planning on buying a new axe after Christmas, but I'm torn.

I've played a few of the "real" PRSs and have always wanted one. Unfortunately, I don't have the scratch for one, and I'm pretty sure it would take several years to save for one.

I've strummed a Santana SE for about five minutes once when they first came out in stores, but I didn't even plug in.

I can't stand Creed or Mark Tremonti, but I must say, I dig the tone a little so the possibility of getting a Tremonti SE is intriguing. I know he plays the "nice" model, but I believe the pickups are the same in the SE.

Anyway, should I even give the Santana SE or Tremonti SE a look? Just hoping to get a little feedback from any of you own them or have played some of these guitars.

I am not familiar with those specific models, so I can't comment on them specifically. I can give you the advice I give to anyone who comes to our shop asking about buying guitars. Personally, I find all of the PRS guitars uninspiring. They just don't do it for me. The workmanship is great, so don't think I am knocking their quality, I just don't like them. That does not mean you won't.

The thing you want to do is to play as many guitars as you can. Go to stores, and play. Find a good store in your area, NOT a Guitar Center, someplace smaller with a sales staff which is professional. Ask them questions, see if they have any ideas you may not have had. Try a lot of guitars. Spend a couple of weeks playing. Do not discount ANY guitar until you have played it. Try some used (I guess I am supposed to say pre-owned) guitars. New ones, old ones, beat up ones, pristine ones. Don't think that a guitar you have never heard of is crap, because it may be your perfect guitar. When you find The One, most stores will let you bring it home to try out (you have to pay for it, but you can get the money back). Once you have it, take it to a good repair shop, preferably not the store where you bought the guitar, and have them look at the instrument. It should be free for them to just look at it. They will tell you what issues it is having, whether they can be fixed at a reasonable cost, and whether a setup is a good idea (which it almost always will be).

A couple other things to keep in mind. First of all, warranties. None of the major American electric guitar companies (Fender, Gibson, and PRS) have particularly great warranties. Of the three, Gibson is probably the best, but even they are not great. With PRS, they basically have no warranty service. They have one guy at the factory who does warranty work part time, and they do not sell or provide replacement parts, nor do they have any warranty service centers. Basically, if something goes wrong, IF they cover it, they replace the instrument. But they are far less likely to cover anything, and you are then out the guitar you spent so much time looking for. Identical guitars are not always identical, after all. Fender and Gibson both have quite a few warranty centers; however, they are both stingy with the people doing their warranty work. Fender pays us about half of our regular rate, and Gibson is only moderately better. We still (always) do our best work, but we are probably not always quick about it. They also both have relatively low limits on how much they will pay us. This means that, if you have a bigger warranty issue, you will be waiting for it to go to the factory and back. This WILL take six months, and may well take a year. Gibson is a little better, but not much.

If you want to read their full warranties, check their web sites. I am not going to go into it here. Just remember, every company has instruments that just are not right. It is not a slight on their work, it is just a fact of mass production. Even small shops have instruments that just are not as perfect as they should be. If you get one, judge them by the way they handle the issue.

Lastly, I would advise you to make sure you take whatever instrument you buy, new or used, to a good repair shop for a setup. We can make almost any instrument play better than it does, and every new factory instrument needs a setup. Again, this is not (entirely) a slight on their work. Aside from the fact that no factory anywhere adjusts their nuts right, they have a very good reason not to get them perfect. They just will not stay that way. It is very important to them that their instruments do not buzz when they get into the store, even after the climate changes have wrecked havoc on the setup from the factory. If an instrument buzzes, customers will put it down, and will NOT pick it back up again. The only area where I really feel they are being cheap is the crap adjustments of their nuts. Their is ONE right way to set a nut, and it is not something which is subject to major change due to the climate. There is no good reason to not do it right. None. It is, however, also a rather skilled and precision job which can not be completely automated. That means it is expensive to get it done right, and factories just are not willing to pay.

Hopefully, this will help you in your search for The One. Good luck, and remember that spending your Saturday afternoons playing guitars is fun.

Enjoy your guitar, when you get it.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Last edited:
I've got an '87 PRS Custom, owned since new and I love it. I've been playing guitar since '64 and have went through alot of names and still have a Strat, SG and LesPaul, PRS has it's own distinctive sound and feel. I've only had to replace one tuning key since I've bought the guitar, PRS sent it to me. The more its played the better it feels, of course the tone and overall sound is up to you. The PRS is and has been my main axe since I bought it. Play alot of different guitars before you buy a cheap PRS. Have fun & Merry Christmas!

Hey, thanks for the advice everybody.

As far as what I'll be spending, I'm hoping to get about $100 or so from trading in my DeArmond M65C and put about $400 w/ that.

A great guitar that is a total sleeper is the old G&L F-100. These were early 1980s guitars. You can find them around for under $500 and sometimes under $400 and even under $300 at times. They kind of remind me of the PRS vibe in that it's not a Gibson and not a Fender (even though these were designed and manufactured by THE REAL Leo Fender). And, these are musical and have soul.

ozraves said:
A great guitar that is a total sleeper is the old G&L F-100. These were early 1980s guitars. You can find them around for under $500 and sometimes under $400 and even under $300 at times. They kind of remind me of the PRS vibe in that it's not a Gibson and not a Fender (even though these were designed and manufactured by THE REAL Leo Fender). And, these are musical and have soul.

Heh... and I happen to own one of the first ones that came out!

I bought my F-100 brand new in late 1980... Candy-Apple red with a hard-tail, which is the rarest of the F-100's since 90% of F-100's have a tremolo. I have serial #677 and the inside neck joint is hand-signed by Leo himself!!! :)

You're right about the tone, except that the bridge pickup gets very microphonic at higher volume levels in smaller clubs. I replaced mine with a Duncan JB4 to make it more playable (with no mods to the body, fortunately), but I still have the original bridge pup, which can easily be reinstalled with no problem.

You're right, though... the F-100 is a seriously overlooked gem of a guitar. Thanx for the props! :):):)

I'm passing this guitar along to one of my sons.

A "family heirloom", if you will. ;)

Light said:
Find a good store in your area, NOT a Guitar Center.

While there staff may not be the best, they do have all of the major brands which allows you to compare easily. Use the stores for what they are good for. I do agree though.....GO PLAY A BUNCH..... that's the only way to find out.

Tremonti SE

I purchased the Tremonti SE and it is the finest guitar I have ever owned. Don't let the Tremonti sticker stop you, (currently trying to think of a way to cover it up) it is a great guitar for the money. I picked mine up for $368 + tax and it comes with a sweet gig bag. I played every axe in that price range and nothing compared. The pickups that everyone knocks are actually very good. I have owned, Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez and sorted others and by far this is the best playing and sounding guitar I have owned. Do yourself a favor and pick one up...

Back