Proximity of PC to speakers, amps, etc?

kesterdevine

OK, I'm taking the plunge and adding a computer to my home studio/jam room! So, here's my VERY IMPORTANT question:

My room is fairly small and I am trying to integrate an armoire that will house the PC into an area with guitar amps, and large PA speakers. I'm concerned that there may be issues with the speakers being too close to the computer.

Can you guys please advise me as to what distance I need to keep speakers/amps etc. from the computer??

I'm trying to figure out how to set up the room before my computer arrives in the next few days.

Your input is very much appreciated.

THANKS,
Kester

Take a small tranistor radio and hold it near the PC (and the monitor) it will pick up the airborne switching noise up to about a foot away, Preamps and such are even more sensitive, Keep the PC and its monitor as far from your audio equipment as space allows, or use grounded shielding between them.

grounded shielding??

Thanks for the response, Derek.
Sorry to follow up with more questions, but ;-)

What would I use as grounded shielding? Is there something I could line the walls of the armoire (that's housing the PC) with??

If I can't do that, how close is too close to cause damage?
I'm mostly concerned about PA speakers/guitar amps being placed beside the computer.

It's gonna be pretty tight in that room, and at times other players bring even more gear in. I want to do everything I can to protect the gear, but it's a pretty "cozy" space.

Thanks alot for the help. This is definitely beyond my scope of knowledge.

grounded shielding??

Thanks for the response, Derek.
Sorry to follow up with more questions, but ;-)

What would I use as grounded shielding? Is there something I could line the walls of the armoire (that's housing the PC) with??

If I can't do that, how close is too close to cause damage?
I'm mostly concerned about PA speakers/guitar amps being placed beside the computer.

It's gonna be pretty tight in that room, and at times other players bring even more gear in. I want to do everything I can to protect the gear, but it's a pretty "cozy" space.

Thanks alot for the help. This is definitely beyond my scope of knowledge.

Shielding can consist of any conductive metal sheet that is connected to earth ground. Mu metal is best, but very expensive. Often used is bronze window screening. Be aware however unless the shielding completely surrounds the protected or offending device (A Faraday Cage) it is not completely effective.

i guess this is gonna be tricky...

I was hoping I could line the interior of the armoire with something relatively inexpensive that would do the trick.

As I have the room laid out now, all the amps, PA etc...are to the right side of the computer armoire, but one of the PA speakers
(or a guitar amp) could end up being positioned as close as 1-2 feet away.

Is there any way to determine (once everything is set up) if I am doing harm to the equipment?

I definitely don't want to screw anything up. And I certainly don't want to do anything that could potentially void the warranty on the PC.

I'm currently searching this site and the web for ideas.

Still open to any suggestions and very grateful for the help.

THANKS.

You won't harm the PC, IT is the source of the noise. One to two feet should be OK. I've never tried it, but aluminum foil may work to some extent. Not to worry, you will probably experience no problems, and at worst, you will get a little noise in your recordings. Many record successfully under similar conditions.

well, that's a RELIEF!

Guess I've really shown my lack of knowledge with this thread, huh? Thanks so much for hanging in there with me, Derek.

All of this is totally new to me!

Most of this equipment will not be used simultaneously, anyway.
For example, I doubt the PA will even be on when I am recording to the PC. I was just afraid the magnets in the speakers or some sort of waves or something from the amp would harm the PC.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Back