Protoolz Vs Roland Or Tascam Please Help:)

RockNSoul

Hey party peoplez!

I have protoolz digi001 and love the sound quality. I don't use plugins or any of that stuff. I like all my sound to come from rack units. I am wanting to switch to a "portable" recording unit like a rolandVS or some tascam unit. So does anyone think I can get as good sound quality out of a roland that I get with my protools? Remember I don't like plugins and won't use them.

Anyone who wants to give me info or pros and cons of these units please do.
Thank you and keep on rockin!
-Chase

I wouldn't suggest any stand-alone DAW setup. They generally have track limits that are laughably low and usually have hard drives that are embarrassingly small.

IMHO, you'd be much better off with a good laptop and a MOTU Traveler or similar. Just as portable, but a lot more flexible, and pretty comparable in price....

The various Roland units seem to have done well over the years. It shouldn't be hard for any recording unit better than entry level to compete with the Digi001. The 001 was good in its day, but pres and convertors aren't great. Good, but not great. So getting as good or getter sound from a new box shouldn't be all that tough.

So are you MIXING with outboard gear or recording though them to get your effects? Standalone DAWS get much more expensive if you need them to have multiple outputs for analog mxing.

I don't know the details, though- I've never seriously looked at the features of the Roland units.

Take care,
Chris

Back