Protools on Mac

Hasse

Hi
I´ve just got an Imac24 With 4G Ram and a 2,66 duo processer. When I start up Protools and go to the setup menu and open the playback Engine the H/W Buffer size up till 1024MB Ram. (the same amount of Ram as on my old PC) Is there some setup that I haven´t done ?
Hope someone can help me.

All the Best
HaK

Hi
I´ve just got an Imac24 With 4G Ram and a 2,66 duo processer. When I start up Protools and go to the setup menu and open the playback Engine the H/W Buffer size up till 1024MB Ram. (the same amount of Ram as on my old PC) Is there some setup that I haven´t done ?
Hope someone can help me.

All the Best
HaK

The H/W Buffer size is not in MB and has nothing (much) to do with how much RAM you have! The number refers to the size of the buffer, measured in samples. I'm not quite sure what your question is? Is everything running fine?

no. i'm fairly sure that 1024 is the maximum..

i've seen 2048 on mine, but i'm not sure when (maybe in a 96k session???)

as i understand it, the hardware buffer is useful in keeping playback smooth when system resources may not be able to keep up..

i think setting it to 1024 samples delays playback by that amount of time, so that in the event of the system failing to process quickly enough, there are 1024 samples stored in the buffer, which can be played back while the system 'catches up'

i sorta made that up,,,but i've based it on the fact that if i record vocals over a song with the buffer at 1024, there's a noticable delay heard on the vocals, which is off putting to a singer,,

if i set the buffer to 64/32, the delay is inaudible.

many people with less powerful systems tend to record with minimal effects and the buffer set as low as possible,,

then when it comes to mixing, they crank the buffer up (cos latency doesn't matter), and the computer will be able to handle a greater load (ie effects and synths and what not)

hope that helps (and is right)lol

i think setting it to 1024 samples delays playback by that amount of time, so that in the event of the system failing to process quickly enough, there are 1024 samples stored in the buffer, which can be played back while the system 'catches up'

i sorta made that up,,,but i've based it on the fact that if i record vocals over a song with the buffer at 1024, there's a noticable delay heard on the vocals, which is off putting to a singer,,

That's actually a pretty acurate description of what the buffer does.

Hi
Should I not have more than 1024 samples in the H/W Buffer size when I have 4G Ram?

HaK

No, the H/W Buffer size limit has nothing to do with how much RAM you've got !!

Back