Protools headache

bernisava

I have been trying to complete a Protools studio for over a year now. So far I have the Mix Core and Farm Cards an 888 24 I/O on a G4 Quicksilver running OSX .4 and Protools 6.1. I have a 7 slot SBS expansion chassis . Since I upgraded to OSX Tiger and 6.1 they program won't load because it says it can't find the hardware. Now I just purchased the M-audio M-Powered software and 192 Audiophile sound card interface. I'm in the process of getting the Digidesign command 8 ASAP. Am I finally going to be able to get this system up and running after this or what? It seems that every time I think I have everything I need, I still need something else and I'm wondering when it's going to end.

first off....wrong section to post this in...

second, you need to read compatibility specs before changing or adding new stuff to your system. From Digidesign:
Pro Tools 6.4.1 for Mac OS X 10.3 is the last version that supports MIX systems. Pro Tools 6.4.1 is not compatible with Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger).

You should be fine with the new setup.

"Now I just purchased the M-audio M-Powered software and 192 Audiophile sound card interface. I'm in the process of getting the Digidesign command 8 ASAP"

Also think I've read on here that pro tools m-powered doesn't support the digi command 8. Needs to be pro tools LE (which is incompatible with the m-audio hardware).

Protools

I thought I went to the digidesign site and it siad the only way to use M audio with it was with the Command 8. I'm going to get the mini-m-box for my laptop. I guess the command 8 will work with that. I haven't purchased it yet. It's so confusing!

bernisava said:
I thought I went to the digidesign site and it siad the only way to use M audio with it was with the Command 8. I'm going to get the mini-m-box for my laptop. I guess the command 8 will work with that. I haven't purchased it yet. It's so confusing!

look here to help you get started:
http://protoolsforum.com/ProToolsLE1.html
(that page is going to be changing hopefully soon though...and be updated, a couple things are out of date).

But the above poster is correct, the command 8 does not work with M-Powered. The command 8 isn't even necessary for Pro Tools LE. Only get it if you want to use a control surface, otherwise save your money for something else.

Protools

The problem is, I have all of the TDM equipment on my G4 and I was thinking of getting LE for my laptop. So I now have the M-powered for that, but will that inteface go into the laptop? I'm am completely new at music production and have 100 songs to produce professionally once I get everything up and running. I'm trying to get the OSX Panther on ebay right now and that should solve my TDM problems, I just want to make sure I get the right equipment for the laptop since I originally purchased $2000 worth of the wrong equipment for the Mix system. It is very complicated, but I want to have the best possible set-up for the best quality sound. I'm a singer/songwriter wanting to produce my own songs.

well the Audiophile 192 is a PCI card...which isn't really fun to use with laptops (mainly because they don't support PCI...it's possible, but you have to purchase more equipment to connect to it). You'd be better off just choosing a firewire or USB one. Look at that link I gave you. There is an entire chart that breaks it down for you.

When did you purchase the TDM system. If you're just a single singer/songwriter...you got something that's too much for what you want to do. You could have payed a lot cheaper and gotten something geared more towards what you do. The TDM unit will work, it's just apparent it's causing more of a hassle for you. Not to mention the mix systems are out of date now.

Protools

I don't mind if they're out of date. I just care that I can get it up and running so I can produce live bands. I got all of the equipment used, so I didn't pay a lot for it, I just wanted to upgrade to Protools 6.1 and OSX. I'll take your advice about the firewire for the laptop and I may be able to use the M-audio as a sound card for my G4. I was going to get the m-box mini until I read the link you sent me. I'll go for the reguar m-box instead. All of the terms are still new to me so I'm getting used to everything. I want a full-blown professional studio in the end...this is just for practice. When I have more money, I'll upgrade to the most recent version and get better equipment. It's just frustrating that it is so complicated and not easier for the newbie to understand. I would've had everything by now if I knew about this site before.

I love my Lynx2A and Sonar. :p

"Lay it down dirty, play it back clean."

Mickey Hart

Better think about buying more tape SOON; supposedly Quantegy's pulling the plug in the next couple of months. Don't remember which vendor I saw that from but I bought a few more reels just in case... Steve

knightfly said:
Better think about buying more tape SOON; supposedly Quantegy's pulling the plug in the next couple of months. Don't remember which vendor I saw that from but I bought a few more reels just in case... Steve

quantegy have no stopped producing tape. last orders were taken end of February...

some dutch company has started making tape recently (i forget the name) but i've heard it's shite...

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
Think I'll open a new box of tape and hit the record button :)

Analog isn't quite that easy...you forgot you have to hit a button to assign which channel(s) you'll be recording to. :) :) :)

Protools

I have to say when I worked with tape, it was a quick and easy cut and splice to get what I wanted. This digital stuff is much harder for the self-learner to learn and therefore not consumer friendly. They have to realize the world is full of do-it-your-selfers and they need tools to help people understand their products in a less complex way. Like real instructional videos showing step-by-step instructions until I can understand how to do it on my own.

Back