protools and cubase talking midi

alastairk

hi
i have two separate set ups. one that stays in my flat and one that comes out in my college bag.
in the flat ive got a g4 with a digi001 running protools 5 with a proteus2k and fatar 880 controller.
for out and about i have a pc laptop with an mbox and maudio2x2 running cubase sx2, battery and kontact
when in the flat i monitor the lot with a mackie cfx16 and my speakers
i have heard about midid slaves and things but how can i get the two systems running in sync so that i can mix on them symultaneously.
other stuff ive got that it would be nice to sync up somehow: microkorg, kaoss2, airfx, line6 pod and basspod.
anyone got any ideas????
:confused: :confused: :o :confused:

advances

this evening i set protools 5 to send mtc
i set cubase sx to recieve mtc
all that happened when i connected them through the midiman 2x2 was that the cubase recived the click from protools via the midi.
i could not get the two systems to run together
anyone got any ideas??
please help me out. :confused:

you know, i'm not 100% sure since I'm not a god at this kinda stuff. But since you said you were able to get the click to send from PT...make sure you have Pro Tools online. (Apple+J or Ctrl+J). This way PT is the slave. Then try pressing play in Cubase.

i don't know, just throwin' out an idea.

It's guys like you, alastairk, who ruin the midi world for all of us. You obviously have WAY more money than you have knowledge or sense.

To buy all that gear without knowing the first thing about it is, or should be, a crime.

Just by your possession of such gear you will present yourself as competition for those of us who have worked for years to achieve the knowledge the laymen will assume you to have. When you prove incompetent they will assume all of us are equally incompetent and will continue working in their old ways.

As far as your question goes, have you considered good old midi clock? Try it - it will probably solve your little dilemma.

update

Thanks for your reply Ssscientist.
This evening I made progress.
With Cubase as the master and ProTools as the slave I got them to both start and stop using the Cubase transport. Problem now..... ProTools is timing but not playing any of the audio or midi that is loaded onto it. I can only hear the Cubase half of the session.
As for being a threat I wouldnt say I was. The only person who has to suffer my recording efforts is me. I play guitar and bass. Im no pro but I bought the Mac to get me through college where I did some basic audio on ProTools and Cubase. And the laptop to get me through uni where i did "out and about" electroacoustic composition involving a lot of sampling and so had to be mobile. I have never really needed midi time code until now and hence know not much about it.
Can you help me?

alastairk said:
I can only hear the Cubase half of the session.
This is where your mixer comes in. You need to send the outs of protools and all connected midi instruments into the mixer along with the audio outs from Cubase and all connected midi instruments.

You shouldn't have too many inputs for your cfx16 to handle, considering that the proteus is your only hardware module.

Already got it all connected to the mixer and the faders are turned up to unity and the channels are not muted. ProTools is timing but the cursor is not moving and so this is why I cant hear the ProTools part of the session. (Sorry, I should have given this information)

I am baffled as to why the ProTools cursor is not moving.

I tried using ProTools as Slave and Cubase as Master but using a borrowed laptop running Cubase VST and I got them both to start, cursors moving and all, (once I set the offset right) and could hear all audio, but then they would not stop together and had to be stopped individually.

Are Cubase SX2 snd ProTools 5.1.1 compatible in this way?

Back