Prosonus Digitube?

Griffinator

Presonus Digitube?

Anyone messed with one of these? I was looking at it as an alternative to the ART DI/O for a single-channel fix for $249 - especially since the 8-channel version is only $1300 when I upgrade later.

Last edited:
I presume you're talking about the DigiMax? The DigiTube is a version of the Bluetube with built-in converters. Anyway, yes the Digimax looks nice. There's also the DigiMax LT which looks to be the same unit without the limiter/EQ curve functions, selling for $800 at MF. I bet either one would make a nice front-end for an ADAT or a computer interface with a lightpipe input, like the Digi001 or the Motu units...but some of those are nice front-ends on their own. I think Alan "you can call me Al" Hyatt was coming out with something like this...an 8 channel preamp/converter unit with lightpipe out, based on the Burr-Brown chipset used in the Grace pre's. I think the MSRP was $700, so you'd likely see them for $500ish. Still, it would be nice to have a good limiter on every channel like you get on the DigiMax.

Dolemite said:
I presume you're talking about the DigiMax? The DigiTube is a version of the Bluetube with built-in converters. Anyway, yes the Digimax looks nice. There's also the DigiMax LT which looks to be the same unit without the limiter/EQ curve functions, selling for $800 at MF. I bet either one would make a nice front-end for an ADAT or a computer interface with a lightpipe input, like the Digi001 or the Motu units...but some of those are nice front-ends on their own. I think Alan "you can call me Al" Hyatt was coming out with something like this...an 8 channel preamp/converter unit with lightpipe out, based on the Burr-Brown chipset used in the Grace pre's. I think the MSRP was $700, so you'd likely see them for $500ish. Still, it would be nice to have a good limiter on every channel like you get on the DigiMax.

Actually, I was asking about the DigiTube, as I'm looking at purchasing a single-channel for right now, and then save up for the Digimax (if the performance is up to snuff) - I'm definitely looking to use them as front ends for my DAW - I've got an Audigy Platinum with the LiveDrive interface, which takes care of the Toslink (lightpipe) interface, but, for obvious reasons, the suckass converters on the SB ain't going to cut it, so the outboard converter is a must.

If you don't need the eq, insert point or tube stage, I urge you to check out the Mindprint DI-Port. 2 very clean mic pre's with 24/48 S/Pdif ins and outs (coax and optical). Very versitile little stereo AD/DA convertor, and it's only about 2 thirds the price of the Digitube.

I basically couldn't see the point in wasting two chanels of S/Pdif inputs on a single pre :D

Mark

Markd102 said:
If you don't need the eq, insert point or tube stage, I urge you to check out the Mindprint DI-Port. 2 very clean mic pre's with 24/48 S/Pdif ins and outs (coax and optical). Very versitile little stereo AD/DA convertor, and it's only about 2 thirds the price of the Digitube.

I basically couldn't see the point in wasting two chanels of S/Pdif inputs on a single pre :D

Mark

I hear ya - although the tube pre (if it's a good one - I'm not very familiar with PreSonus tubes) to me would be worth that extra $80 in and of itself.

I have an older Bluetube with Jensen tranformers and Its a fine pre. But told the new ones can be noisy. I guess you should try them out in the store first with a good set of monitors.

darrin_h2000 said:
I have an older Bluetube with Jensen tranformers and Its a fine pre. But told the new ones can be noisy. I guess you should try them out in the store first with a good set of monitors.

Oh, believe me. When my local dealer gets one in, I'm going to take it home and put it through its paces for a weekend.

Back