Pros & Cons on recording with EQ in or out?

Dyson Steel

In the past I have always tried to record with the EQ out. Then during mixdown EQ, and compress (if needed), the tracks seperately. I use a mackie 32 x 8 , 4 alesis black face adats, 1 dbx compressor and 3 alesis 3630's (I know this is not top of the line but I have got fairly good, uh, well how about ok, on this equipment over the last 12 years.
I have also used the compressor during the recording phase sometimes but not always.
From a mastering stand point would it be better to EQ durring the recording or in mix down?
Thanks for all input.

Dyson Steel said:
From a mastering stand point would it be better to EQ durring the recording or in mix down?
Thanks for all input.

It really doesn't make a scrap of difference from a mastering stand point at what point you decide to use EQ.
However, from an overall quality stand point I would advice you to try and record with minimum processing. Try and get the sound as close as you can to what you want to hear by using instrument positioning / acoustics / mic choice and mic placement.
After you have arrived at the best possible sound, by all means use some EQ where you need it. For instance, shelf the low end on microphones that don't need it, or the high end from those which don't need that. Also, use for instance some light compression to even out the snare and / or kick.

Once you have recorded like that, you will find that the tracks wil be easier to work with during the mix.

One you have arrived at a satisfactory mix - that's another cup of tea altogether. If you are going to send your tracks away to be mastered, avoid placing EQ or any other processing on the mix. If you master it yourself, that is the time to apply some carefully choosen processing on the mix

I have tried it both ways. I can get what seems to be better sound EQing the mix after recording when mixing down.
The thing is I want a mastering engineer to have the flexibility to get me the very best sound he can. I can get a good mix from my recordings.
I'm new here and I am learning I know a whole lot about nothing the more I read and follow links. But I also know that I have heard some incredible sounds on CD's, LP's and even tape.
I'm more mechanical than anything. Give me a car and I can blow torch and creat a thing of beauty in a short time.
I try to be cautious on how I spend my money. I paid for some 1000 cassettes to be mastered and duplicated 1 time (my sons band) and I still have 700 on hand (live and learn).
I guess what I am trying to say is I feel my writings are good enough, The recordings are very good, and I'm good at marketing but I want some thing that is going to sell itself in the final package.
So seems to me I will "NEED THE SONGS MASTERED"!
Besides, this steam hissing through these lines in this power plant is driving me crazy.

Thank you for the input.

The thing I always recommend to my "clients of lesser practical experience" is this -

Whatever it takes to get your mix the way you like it is fine. EQ, compress, reverb, chorus, whatever it takes.

HOWEVER: Try to stay on the conservative side on almost everything. If you want verb, by all means use it. During mixdown, MUTE IT once in a while. Reverb, unless it's for a stinger effect, is supposed to be a "transparent" thing - Once you're actively conscious of it, you're probably using too much. Same with most effects. People aren't trying to listen to "effects" - They're listening to "a recording" that may have effects on it. Too much effects. verb in particular, is probably the biggest "rookie" giveaway out there.

Same with EQ - If you want a big "tick" on a kick drum, go for it. If you're listening to the recording and every time you hear the kick you go "That's so cool - What a great sounding 'tick' on that kick drum" it may be standing out so far away from the mix as to draw attention away from the rest of music.

Follow me here? What I "normally" do when I'm mixing is make whatever settings I might make, then back off on them a bit.

During mastering, anything that "stands out" will probably stand out MORE after the mastering session.

As far as buss effects, compression, EQ, etc., that's normally a no-no. If you want a bit (-1 or -2dB) of compression on a mix to hold it together a bit, that's not usually a problem. Any more will seriously compromise the mastering engineer's direction. Find individual tracks or groups (drum buss? vocal buss?) that could use it more. Same with EQ. If your mix lacks highs, find out WHERE the highs should be. Overheads? Guitars? Vocals? What actually needs it?

I could go on for several days on this topic, but I've got projects sitting here. For a little more, if you're so inclined, go to...

www.massivemastering.com/assets/pdf/MASSIVE_Guide_to_Mixing.pdf

John Scrip

Back