Proof that the BR8 Rocks!

imalion

I am posting this thread to offer proof to everyone that you really can get a awesome/full/professional sound from the BR8. I have found it to be an amazing little 8 track. LOL

If you are thinking about buying the BR8 or you are kinda new. I would recommend listening to a song or two just so you can hear its capabilities. Have fun.

Feel free to listen to some songs that I just did on the BR8. Here is the link: http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/357/steven_diemert.html

Take care. And if you have any questions, please dont hesitate to ask.

Steven

Sounds good.

What was your recording procedure?

What mikes did you use etc?
What did you mix down to? A PC or straight to CD burner?
Did you have any problems achieving a good final recording level?

Benny2002

Benny,

Thanks for listening.

I use a Audio-Technica AT4033 studio mic. I run my vocal mic into my Board (Behringer EuroRack MX 1804X) , Then I go from the board into the BR-8. When my song is complete in the BR-8 I mix down into Cakewalk Homestudio 2002. the Right signal from the BR-8 gets recorded onto Track #1 in Cakewalk. And the left signal from BR-8 gets recorded onto track #2 in Cakewalk. Once that is done I normalize the tracks.

If you want a really full sound try adding two more audio tracks into Cakewalk at this time. Then copy and paste track one to one of the new tracks. And copy and paste track #2 to the other new track. You have just doubled your tracks. Now there should be 4 total tracks. Two channels are left signals and two are right signals. Make Sure You Have ALL tracks Panned HARD to the left and right. Also make sure that ALL tracks are playing at the same level.

I think I get a really cool sound doing it that way.

How are you recording your music?

Steven

I'm using a Roland 840GX. at the moment I am just starting out and have a lot to learn and some more egar to get.

I'm recording using a dymanic mike (for a start) Later I'll get something like a Rode NT3. Everything we do is acoustic, so we mike everything straight into the unit. Our recording level is too low though. Your Behringer EuroRack MX 1804X, is that what you use for performing? it's a powered desk? We have a smaller 8 channel PA, I'm wondering if I should go through that into the VS, and how I might set the EQ.

The VS like the BR8 uses Zip disks. So far I am just copying to the Zip as a wav file and copying straight to the the PC and burning. I need to get a new sound card so I conenct traight to the PC with digital connectors, The Audiphile 2496 has been suggested but that might be a little over the top. Any ideas?

I'm not sure, I might also go for PC software as well, Homestudio 2002 I would consider. Do you have any problems getting a good CD level on your recordings?

Benny2002

Benny,

I am No longer having any problems with my volume levels. When you say your "recording level is too low." What do you mean?

Does it sound low on the BR-8? (if you answer YES to this try recording at higher levels.

Or does it sound low once you burn to CD?

If the problem is that your volume level is too low when you burn to CD.. Look at my previous post. I had the same problem and fixed it.

Good Luck

Steven

Steven

Your CD level sounds great. I'll have to look into getting a copy of homestudio 2002.

What I mean is "my" sound level is too low both on the recorder and on the test CD I did.

The manual says that the "peak" light comes on at -6db. From what little I know, It seems the idea is to get as close as possilbe to 0db, so I have to see how I can change that setting on the VS setup if I can at all.

Just an obervation on CD levels. It seems to me that a lot of older CD's especially ones that have were origonally released on LP are lower than new CD's. A favourite of mine that is very low is Bruce Springsteen's "Nabraska". Even his later "Ghost of Tom Joad" is low.

I am recording acoustic guitar, and I think it will be hard to get a high level using a mike, which I prefer to do to get as close as possble to a natural sound.

What I would like to know is it possible to go through my PA into the VS without blowing it? say from the monitor output, to get a good recording level, or should I just record low and boost/compress it later?

Thanks for the help

Ben

Ben,

I would not suggest going into the P.A. then into the VS. THis could damage your equipment. You can however go into a mixing board, then go into the VS. Just watch your levels.

I agree with you about recording acoustic guitars with a mic. Thats how I do it too. Check out the song "SLOW TRAIN" on my page. http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/357/steven_diemert.html

I recorded all acoustic guitar parts with a mic going into my mixer, and from my mixer into my BR-8.

The OVERALL CD volume was acheived in HomeStudio 2002. It really did save my ass from the emberassing "Low volume CD".

Good Luck

Steven

Help me go from BR8 to PC

I am new to recording and bought the BR8 becuase I thought I could upload to my PC via zip drive. The manual says you can not do this with a zip disk formated for the BR8. What will I need to get my recordings to the PC? I have the standard soundblaster card with no digital input. I have the cd burner. Any recommendations for hardware/software to get me to the point where I can burn cds? What type digital connectors on the cables? Hope you guys can help.

Smada,

You can go out of your BR-8 "Line Out" and into your sound card. You will need a cable that has a 1/8 inch end and to RCA ends.

RCA ends go from "Line Out" right and left.. then run the cable into the 1/8 input on your sound card. Then run it into Cakewalk or something like that.

Another option you can do is to run your "Line Out" left and right into the "Line In" of a CD recorder. You can go straight to CD with this option. Using software like Cakewalk will improve overall sound on the CD.

Good Luck.

Steven

Re: Help me go from BR8 to PC

smada said:
I am new to recording and bought the BR8 becuase I thought I could upload to my PC via zip drive. The manual says you can not do this with a zip disk formated for the BR8. What will I need to get my recordings to the PC? I have the standard soundblaster card with no digital input. I have the cd burner. Any recommendations for hardware/software to get me to the point where I can burn cds? What type digital connectors on the cables? Hope you guys can help.

You can go here and get the .wav converter, and then use something like Sound Forge XP to master the tracks and burn them to CD. This is how I do it, and it works great.

imalion said:
The wav converter sucks. Seriously.

Why does it suck? No offense, but I listened to your stuff on MP3.com, and your production is fine, but definitely no better than my production using Sound Forge and the .wav converter.

I don't understand why "it sucks".

Also, running out of the RCA analog outs into the sound card is rediculous, because you're having the sound digitally converted twice, which will sacrifice the tone.

If you're going to go direct out of the BR8 into a sound card, at least go out of the optical/digital out.

I do go out of my BR-8 vie the optical out. And run that into my computer. I agree with you. It doesnt make sense to use the RCA outs when you are trying to keep everything digital.

Steven

Back