Promotion Through Free Demos!!

Grape

I dont know if this was already mentioned, so feel free to tell me if it was.

I knew a band who was small last summer, but because they spent most of their money they didnt use on shirts on buying CD-Rs and handing these 5 song demos out for free to people around the region, they became signed to Rise.

This band is Attack Attack! (Modern hardcore/screamo band)

My band is starting to do this as well.
We can get 100 CD-R's for $15.

Or... 500 CR-R's for $60.

I have friends back at my high school where they have a machine that'll speed-burn the CDs. (I made a deal to record them if they do me this favor)

Only $60, and 500 people around my entire state/region will have heard our demo, spreading the word to friends and family. Major promotion.

What do you think?
<33

p.s. Buy bundles of CDs online for cheap. Make sure seller is credible.

most people do this
but you have to consider that most people dont care for what they didnt have to pay for

youll always need a flashy cover and the first song on your cd should be one of your best

most people dont care for what they didnt have to pay for

youll always need a flashy cover and the first song on your cd should be one of your best

yeah thats what i was thinking about, as i was going to release my first free demo a few week ago, though i have some big collabs coming soon so gonna wait and pile all those on.

i know someone who does good covers for 40GBP does anyone know of anyone cheaper?

I'm currently testing another method in my area - I have a show coming up. I put out free download cards around town - about 100 of them. People pick up a card, plug in the code on my website and they can download the album for free. The code works five times so they can pass it on to a friend. I'll let you know how this works short-term and long-term. Less overhead costs though.

I'm currently testing another method in my area - I have a show coming up. I put out free download cards around town - about 100 of them. People pick up a card, plug in the code on my website and they can download the album for free. The code works five times so they can pass it on to a friend. I'll let you know how this works short-term and long-term. Less overhead costs though.

this sounds a great idea, what size media are they printed on.. like business card sized?

can you give me the name of the software you are using please.

yeah they are the size of a business card - I just used a basic program to design them (GIMP http://www.gimp.org/) and then just used a word processor to lay them out and print them... very low tech. the high tech part was programming my site for them.

Follow up: Adoption of the free digital download cards has been slow. I will post an image of them on this thread shortly. Despite the slow adoption, they have been used. I find that physically handing someone a card makes for better results. I will be doing a week long tour in Florida beginning tomorrow and we've printed up 100 digital download cards. We are offering these for a donation of ANY amount since there is virtually no overhead and selling physical CDs for $5 dollars. I will post the results and you can follow me on tour via my website.

most people do this
but you have to consider that most people dont care for what they didnt have to pay for

Hmm, yeah. I don't really think I've listened to any of the free stuff I've taken, LOL, especially if the song titles were unrecognizable to me.

My band always just gave out free CDs and stickers at our shows. If we recorded a new single, we would duplicate a few hundred copies and make sure we announced "free CDs/stickers" on our Myspace bulletins and flyers.

It always worked well with our crowd (which was mostly younger teens). Free stuff handed out personally = kids love you.

Back