ProjectMix or Digi 002?

coolwhip

libertarian power.
I'm looking to upgrade my mixer to either the m-audio projectmix or digi's 002 in the near future to run pro tools (m-powered or le, respectively). Any suggestions on which one? I also do a considerable amount of work in reason 3.0, and the bonus of being able to use the projectmix with reason (and logic in the future, whenever i get around to purchasing it :p) is great. Plus, the Projectmix is considerably cheaper than the 002, at least if i were purchasing the factory bundle.

Anyone have experience with either of these? Thoughts? Any other products that might fit the bill and be similar to one of these?

Projectmix would kick ass with Reason because of the controls and faders etc.
I would get the Projectmix since it has everything for an awesome price tag as well.
I'm not sure about which preamps sound better...someone could take that.

studiomaster said:
I'm not sure about which preamps sound better...someone could take that.

I'm actually going to be using mainly my own pre-amps, unless it comes to a drum kit or something requiring more than 6 mics. I'm definitely leaning towards the ProjectMix - thanks for the input :)

SonicAlbert said:
You can use Reason and Logic with the Digi 002.

Yes, but from what I've heard (just from browsing on the DUC forums), the coreaudio seems to have a lot of problems with latency and various bugs when running logic especially.

Feature-wise, are there any major differences that I'm missing between the two boards? They look almost identical to me as far as...everything.

Oh, I've heard that the projectmix won't let you use the S/PDIF and ADAT connections at the same time...true?

Yes, but from what I've heard (just from browsing on the DUC forums), the coreaudio seems to have a lot of problems with latency and various bugs when running logic especially.

Yeah, there can be bugs at times for some people, just make sure you have all the latest drivers. Although with Reason you can just rewire it with Pro Tools and run it through there.

Feature-wise, are there any major differences that I'm missing between the two boards? They look almost identical to me as far as...everything.

Oh, I've heard that the projectmix won't let you use the S/PDIF and ADAT connections at the same time...true?

Nah, all 18 should run fine.
Take a look here: http://protoolsforum.com/ProToolsLE1.html

The four outputs on the projectmix really turn me off, compared to the 002's ten. I run pro-tools m-powered, and will continue to do so if i buy the projectmix (obviously). Does anyone know if i can run my firewire 410 into the projectmix via the ADAT connections in order to gain 8 additional 1/4" outputs? Would there be any signal degradation caused by using this method? Would pro-tools even recognize the additional inputs and outputs?

You could hook up the 410 via SPDIF...?

Why not get something like a MOTU 828mkII or Firepod with an additional DAW controller like the MCU?

I'm a ProTools kinda guy, and I'd really prefer to stick with it, seeing as that's what I'm comfortable with, and it's what I've found works best for my purposes. That limits me to avid hardware.

coolwhip said:
You can run 18 on the 002, but what about on the ProjectMix?

yes, all 18 should run fine.

Does anyone know if i can run my firewire 410 into the projectmix via the ADAT connections in order to gain 8 additional 1/4" outputs?

I doubt it. The 410 is an audio interface...it's made to pass its audio inputs directly to firewire. So to use the digital outs, you'd have to go through the 410 via analog-->to a computer software program like Nuendo, etc-->back out to the 410 and then in digital to the Project Mix.

You'd need something like the Behringer ADA8000 instead

Back