project files aren't big, but using up all my hard drive

Hi all

Got a question, I've got a couple of bands on my hard drive, if I click on the folders they add up to about 35 gigs. They are the only thing on the 250 gig hard drive, hidden files are enabled. When I click on disk properties it says I've used up 150gigs, is there something cubase is hiding or the way I'm saving the files?

I'm sure part of it is your "system restore" or possibly backup copies created by your system.

More info would help a lot. :rolleyes:

system restore is disabled

Does cubase save all or some of the audio files differently for different mixes that I've saved, I've got many different cubase files of different mixes of the same song

I'm afraid I'm not proficient in Cubase, but that's what most of the big box recording software packages do. Can you look at the time stamps on the files and see if they are sequential? Does Cubase have a clean up of old files option?

Empty your recycle bin. Just a guess.

Cubase stores all the audio files in a folder called "audio" in each session directory. There are another couple folders in there that have edits and the waveform display info.

That should be just about it.

Yes, there is a clean-up tool! Hit file and then there's a "clean-up" option. Click it and run it. It deletes all files not used in your projects.

Yes, there is a clean-up tool! Hit file and then there's a "clean-up" option. Click it and run it. It deletes all files not used in your projects.
The only reson not to do this is if you have all your sessions working out of the same folder. If you didn't create a different folder for each song (like you should) and you clean up, it will only keep the files for the session that you are in and you will lose all the files for the other sessions.

It just dawned on me... When you say "project file", are you talking about the .cpr file? That file is just positioning and plugin lists, it doesn't contain any audio. The audio and all the other files you need in the session are in the subfolders in that session folder.

Back