Project - digital guitar/keyboard input

Philby_Walsh

hey guys,

I'm doing a project for my IT course at college.
I'm still at the idea formulation stage & was hoping some of ye guys on
here could offer me some help/advice...

I was originally hoping to hook up a guitar to a PC and design a
program which would detect if the correct notes were played...although
i'm beginning to think that this is not possible as i only knowhow to hook up
a guitar in an analog(not digital) manner..therefore it could only detect
sounds & not digital impulses...

I then thought I might be able to do a similar thing but with a keyboard...
is it possible (with todays modern keyboards) to design a program which
would detect if the correct notes were played on the keyboard?

I know this post is a but rambling but if anyone has any info on whether or not this is
possible i'd really appreciate it...or if anyone has an idea if this is possible with any
other musical instrument that'd be cool too...

thanks again
Philby

thanks

cheers for that tip...
as i said i know nothing about midi so any additional info you/anyone else can throw my way would be great...

how much would a midi sequencer (bottom of the range) cost??
any links/good sites to any available online?

sorry for all d questions but this project is important to me & I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of Midi......

Would it be possible for it to detect that the chord is played or just individual notes?

thanks again
philby

A midi sequencer will detect anything you play on the keys. The notes, the chords, velocity, panning, and record it as midi data. You can then send this data back to the keyboard which will play what you just recorded or trigger sounds from another midi device. I recommend you download a demo version of any recording software that has a midi sequencer and play with it. When you find one you like thats easy for you to use, purchase it.
Try Sonar, Logic, Cubase, or Cakewalk just to name a few.

There are already software tuners. And midi will record and display any note, wether it's the right one or not.

Hey, sounds like you're on the right track. You can still use a guitar if you use a MIDI pickup like this one.

http://home.epix.net/~joelc/rmc.html

Also, there may actually be a wav. to MIDI computer converter program by now. I'll post back if I find one. Then the original idea would work if it converts in real time.

Re: thanks

Philby_Walsh said:
sorry for all d questions but this project is important to me & I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of Midi......

then I suggest you read up more about MIDI ASAP! this will give you a pretty good idea on how to get started.

I think the thing u plan to do sounds feasible, and MIDI is definately the way. MIDI keyboard is definately a better choice, but MIDI guitar would be cool as well if you have the $$$$. :)

thanks for the help guys.

The original idea was to have a guitar tutor (with lessons/tehcniques/basics & tunes) that the user plays along to and the program actually checks whether the right notes had been played & if not it notifies the user....

what price are we talking for a midi-guitar?

i see it isn't possible to detect if a whole chord is played..this would limit my project as you'd only be able to play one note at a time...

any thoughts?

Back