Progress Indicator Skipping

blipndub

Posted below and did some digging around, trying new video drivers, but can confirm that the problem is deffinately midi related as it's my metronome that's actually skipping, this is making my metronome impossible to use and explains the probs with session drummer.

Hello all,

During playback the vertical bar that runs down through all tracks doesn't keep up with the real time, the audio plays alright, but the bar keeps stuttering and skipping. It's making it difficult to time overdubs at precise times. This happens for projects that are only audio tracks and also those with midi tracks.

Also, when recording midi either from a triger device or using session drummer it won't keep time, either the trigger comes in delayed by a quarter beat or the session drummer just stutters on keeping time.

I'm running HS02 on SBLive with a midiman converter and have my midi settings to incorporate both the soundcard and the external device.

Are these problems related?

Last edited:
Sounds like a latency issue.

Does the situation improve if you increase the latency? OPTIONS-AUDIO?

Ciao,

Q.

how strong is your computer...cuz that happens to me when my computer is bogged down wit efx and other programs open etc.

I don't think that has anything to do with latency.

Like Teacher said it could be your system isn't powerfull enough.

You need to give more info:

Video card?
CPU?
amount of RAM?
OS?

Thanks for responses

Win98
256 RAM
900 MHz AMD
Dual 40 gig hard drives
nividia TNT2 32 meg (this could be a problem)
SB Live

I think it actually is a latency issue, as I've been playing with the i/o buffer size and Buffers in Playback Queue and that seems to help the midi problem, although I'm far from the right balance and haven't come up with the formula that works all the time. Any hints on these settings?

Of course the better the midi tracks the more and more frequent I get dropouts! Also it seems to vary between different projects, i guess this makes sense if there are variable degrees of RAM being used for FX etc.

Dunno about your card, but for mine to work at low latency, ie. using WDM drivers, I need to be running Win2K or XP.

There are other threads on this board which talk about this with your SB card - do a search.

Also the Creative website should also have info on how to set up their cards for low latency operation.

Ciao,

Q.

Back