Programed drums live cymbals???

Corndog

I know it works, Annihilator did it on a lot of early records. My drummer got hi-jacked by another band and I can't play anywhere CLOSE to him so I was thinking this was a viable alternative.
Programed kick live snare/cymbals???

Thoughts??? Drummers here in Vancouver are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Oh, as for the Annihilator reference...we're not a metal band. We play psychobilly. I was Jeff's guitar tech for a tour.

I use electronic drums for recording (Roland TD10). On many occasions (depending on the importance of the track) I will use acoustic cymbals in place of the electronic cymbals - and it really makes a significant difference.

However, when recording any acoustic instrument and this is really a big deal with drums - much depends on the room. If you have a bad and/or untreated room and then try to use a couple of condensor mics to capture cymbals - you can face some challenges getting a controlled sound - even with good cymbals.

In addition, I have found that low cost cymbals (B8s etc.) often sound worse (waaay to harsh and "brite") than the samples from my TD10 - so if you choose to purchase acoustic cymbals......choose wisely.

One "trick" that many producers suggest is to add a "live" acoustic ride or hi-hat to a sequenced drum track - which helps add some "flow", "swing" or whatever magic word one may choose.

So if you simply choose to add ride or hi-hat that could help - and the room sound would not be as critical since you can get by with close mic'ing hi-hat and even a ride.

Back