Professional Mastering

mshilarious said:
I used to have a manager with that name . . . any Jims in your family?

Not to my knowledge. Rare name in general, but especially for NC I would think.

[ah, Jimmy Valvano, I get it now ...]

masteringhouse said:
Not to my knowledge. Rare name in general, but especially for NC I would think.

[ah, Jimmy Valvano, I get it now ...]

Nah, this guy lived in MD.

I should add he is a musician too--played guitar & sang in a cover band.

masteringhouse said:
Sounds like you may be looking for a "magic bullet". If a mix is crap even Bob Ludwig is only going to make it sound like polished crap.

Great masters come from good/great mixes.

This brings up a good point though.
Too many people think that mastering is going to transform their song into god knows what.
From what I've learnt in this process of mastering if you don't think your mix is already kick ass then keep on working or re-record because you cant expect mastering to alter your performances or bad/good mixing decisions.
I did an album recently which was mixed/recorded brilliantly by a guy called Clarke Jackman.
All i did was a few cuts here and there with eq, then tightened it up a bit with some light compression, i didn't smash it level wise at all.
I didn't even use a limiter.
He was stoked. So was I.
The point I'm trying to make is.
Mastering can and does unearth gold sometimes, I've found this happens mostly when there are a few rogue frequencies and the effect masking has on the individual elements within the mix. But if there is no gold to start with its back to the drawing board.
So i think people should research was mastering cant do before they start assuming what it can.

One of the best statements Ive seen in regards to this is missive's little phrase at the bottom of his signature. It doesn't get any better than that.
Having said all this I'm not presuming anything about plainrats mixing/producing.
I just think people need to know more about what mastering can and cant do to a song. I thought this could be a place to start.
I think i might start a thread that says WHAT MASTERING WONT DO.

wil said:
This brings up a good point though.
Too many people think that mastering is going to transform their song into god knows what.
From what I've learnt in this process of mastering if you don't think your mix is already kick ass then keep on working or re-record because you cant expect mastering to alter your performances or bad/good mixing decisions.
I did an album recently which was mixed/recorded brilliantly by a guy called Clarke Jackman.
All i did was a few cuts here and there with eq, then tightened it up a bit with some light compression, i didn't smash it level wise at all.
I didn't even use a limiter.
He was stoked. So was I.
The point I'm trying to make is.
Mastering can and does unearth gold sometimes, I've found this happens mostly when there are a few rogue frequencies and the effect masking has on the individual elements within the mix. But if there is no gold to start with its back to the drawing board.
So i think people should research was mastering cant do before they start assuming what it can.

One of the best statements Ive seen in regards to this is missive's little phrase at the bottom of his signature. It doesn't get any better than that.
Having said all this I'm not presuming anything about plainrats mixing/producing.
I just think people need to know more about what mastering can and cant do to a song. I thought this could be a place to start.
I think i might start a thread that says WHAT MASTERING WONT DO.

so how long have you been doing this wil?

distortedrumble said:

Hi Distorted rumble. I started with guitar about 15 years ago then playing in bands the usual thing i suppose. Started in recording about 7 years ago.
I then heard about this mysterious topic called mastering. Which was around the
same time. Im still quite fresh and im learning everyday. This place and PSW ive learned heaps. Thanks guys.
My heart is leaning towards mastering. Long journey im willing to take.
I just love it.
Its great to be able to get real world advice from you pros.
Thanks
What about you distortedrumble

Carter said:
19 years for me! and I should be better than I am...... but hey I get the job done.

I like guys like you that say you should be better than what you already are.
To me it instantly means you are good. :)

Can someone please give me a link or an explanation on these rep points.
Im not 100% on them. Also is it possible to take them back if you accidently give a bad or good one to someone.

Thaks guys.

masteringhouse said:
Sorry, but the fact that you mentioned BIG ALBUM SOUND set off alarms just like "radio ready" does with me. It was not a commentary on your mixes, which I would reserve judgement on until I've heard them.

Your request just seems a bit naive as Big Album Sound" (whatever that means) doesn't exist unless the prerequisites have been met.

I've been doing this stuff for approx 15 years now, for some very well known acts. If that isn't a vet please educate us.

Ok. But you must admit your original response with the word crap was at least a bit assuming.You didn't make a good 1st impression. My use of the words BIG ALBUM SOUND and IMPROVING IT was admittidly newbieish enought to set off your response and after reviewing my words, it's understandable. But that was then and this is now and I aint no newbie. And now I know you aint either.
So......a little re-phrasing would be in order. I realize improving the mix with mastering is impossible. I'm looking for what we're all looking for in mastering. LARGENESS ...expansion of stereo image ..sheen...improving the soundscape...whatever your favorite discriptions are. My intent was to find consensis for someone who is good at it. That's all. I've already tested one I didnt like. If you do samples I might like to hear one. I'd like to see your equipment list. enough spat.....back to business.

plainrat said:
Ok. But you must admit your original response with the word crap was at least a bit assuming.You didn't make a good 1st impression. My use of the words BIG ALBUM SOUND and IMPROVING IT was admittidly newbieish enought to set off your response and after reviewing my words, it's understandable. But that was then and this is now and I aint no newbie. And now I know you aint either.
So......a little re-phrasing would be in order. I realize improving the mix with mastering is impossible. I'm looking for what we're all looking for in mastering. LARGENESS ...expansion of stereo image ..sheen...improving the soundscape...whatever your favorite discriptions are. My intent was to find consensis for someone who is good at it. That's all. I've already tested one I didnt like. If you do samples I might like to hear one. I'd like to see your equipment list. enough spat.....back to business.

Hey, were you the guy that just left negative rep for everybody who posted on the thread? Hint: you have to have rep for it to count :rolleyes:

distortedrumble said:
I appreciate this advice and it is a good reminder and your thread Idea is a great one. What mastering does do would be good too. I assure you... as I'm 50,..started on guitar at 10,...1st recording..16....I don't call my mix good till it gives me chills or at least comes close.

P.S. it's bluesy guitar rock with a huge meaty vocal if this lures anyones mastering appetite.

plainrat said:

plainrat -

Sorry let's start over. The term crap was used in a general sense it had nothing to do with your mix. I can see how it may have been misinterpreted.

Largeness is achieved in many ways and depends on your definition of the term. Some people think volume when they are describing large, to others it means "density" (as in "those guitars sound huge"), and to others it may mean the "depth".

Volume we all know how to control. Through the use of compressors, limiters, riding gain through automation or manually, as well as how loud music is perceived by the nature of the frequencies it occupies. The trick is making music "appropriately loud" and doing it without having too many remnants of distortion (compressing or limiting always adds distortion to some degree).

Expansion of the stereo image (width) can be done with M/S processing, phase tricks, and use of delays. IMHO a good mix shouldn't need any of this. It's best taken care of in the mix. Changes in phase to accomplish this usually weaken a mix and can potentially cause issues in mono. If a mix sounds "centered" try other options in the mix via panning and delays (check out Haas effect thread). The end product will stand-up much better for it without all of that extra processing.

Depth in a mix is best accomplished with proper mic technique, delays, reverb, EQ, and levels. This is a tough trick to pull off in mastering as unless you get stems, there is little control over the individual tracks in a mix. Adding reverb over the whole mix just makes the mix sound more distant, not the individual elements.

Another definition of depth/bignesss is the sound that you get from things like analog tape. This comes from harmonics added through use of things like tubes, tape, devices like the Crane Song HEDD which add harmonics that match tube and tape (not the exciter variety), along with other analog emulation devices as well as analog gear itself.

Hope this at least partially answers the original question.

My gear list? Most often used pieces are:

Main DAW:

Pro Tools HD system on a Mac, but also have other PC related software that I use from time to time.​

Digital processing/conversion:

Weiss EQ1
Weiss DS1

Various plugins such as
Waves Masters bundle
Waves Restoration bundle
Crane Song Phoenix (tape emulation)
Spectra Foo (metering)

Apogee PSX-100 A/D D/A converter​

Analog processing:

Crane Song STC-8 compressor
Crane Song Ibis EQ
Chandler LTD-2 compressor
Urie LA-22 (de-esser/compressor)​

Monitoring is dynaudio acoustics BM15s with BX-30 sub

OT - Hey Tom... How's that Phoenix treating you?

I keep trying to convince DH to release it as a VST, but he won't budge (says it opens up a whole different can of worms that he's not interested in jumping into).

Massive Master said:
OT - Hey Tom... How's that Phoenix treating you?

I keep trying to convince DH to release it as a VST, but he won't budge (says it opens up a whole different can of worms that he's not interested in jumping into).

I like it. I went "head to HEDD" with it and preferred it over the unit. There are a lot more tape emulation options than the HEDD, but it doesn't have the tube emulation. For me HEDD pentode was cooler than it's tape emulation anyway.

Of course nothing sounds as good as real tape!

Last edited:
rep meaning

mshilarious said:
Hey, were you the guy that just left negative rep for everybody who posted on the thread? Hint: you have to have rep for it to count :rolleyes:
mshilarious..I can't answer that because I really don't know what leaving negative rep means or how I would do it if I did. Could you explain?

plainrat said:
mshilarious..I can't answer that because I really don't know what leaving negative rep means or how I would do it if I did. Could you explain?

Then accept my apologies and never mind.

It's a silly game some people like to play . . . me included :o

mshilarious said:
Then accept my apologies and never mind.

It's a silly game some people like to play . . . me included :o

Where do you see negative rep points? Looked in profile but only shows good stuff unless somebody doesn't hate me yet (which I find hard to believe :) )

Back