Professional Bass Forum?

barefoot

barefootsound.com
Much respect to this forum, but does anyone know of a good forum for pro bass players?

Some of you may recall a while back when I was knocking around the idea of developing a high-end bass amp. The consensus here seem to be that most people couldn't provide much feedback on the merits of my ideas because the estimated price was just too far out in the stratosphere (about $5k). I was hoping somebody might know of a forum where I could pick the heads of a lot of pro players... the types who are willing to mortgage the farm to get the very best gear?

Thanks!
Thomas

http://barefootsound.com

I don't know the low down forum, but do know the talkbass forum. Lot's of players there, lots of topics (even for double bass!)

$5k for a pre seems very high even for me (and i consider myself a pro player, living of my playing) ... with all my respect, but i seem to have the impression that it's mostly hobby players that buy the most exotic boutique basses (7+ strings, 5+ sorts of wood, ...) and that pro players like to stick to a few (i mean 2-3 not 8-10) good axes and a good amplifying set. It's our bread, we don't want to spend more than necessary on it....

Just MHO, don't want to upset people ...

Herwig

Thanks all. I'll check out the forums you suggested.

Herwig,

It's not just a preamplifier. It's an entire integrated amplification system - from the preamp to the cabinet. This integrated approach is a crucial part of my design. The system will essentially use the same design approach as one of my high-end active studio monitors, but optimized for live bass amplification. In this sense, I guess it is a little "exotic". But I also intend for it to be a working man's amplifier. The system will be very compact, extremely powerful, extremely linear, dynamic, and completely rugged and road worthy.

Do you think $5k seems like an outrageous amount for a whole system?

Thanks!
Thomas

Well... you surely got my interest, but I don't think I can justify a $5000 setup... I'm *very* satisfied with my $2700 setup I have now (SWR SM-400s + Goliath 4x10 cab) so I don't know if any amplifier will/can sound '$2300 better' ... I'm also moving into the league of people who get endorsments.. (If you need someone in Europe to endorse your product, you can always send one :D )

Don't get me wrong, I'm interested, but that's a real high price point..

I love the HiFi bass sound (why I play SWR and Ken Smith), but my current rig is semi compact (a 4x10 is not very compact but you can't get smaller than that without making sonic sacrifices imho), very powerful (SWR's amps may sound 'less loud' than other brands with the same wattage, but the SWR is much cleaner both in the low as in the high freq band)

BTW why I bought that setup is because I was looking for an amp/speaker-combo that gave me a great sound without using the EQ ... at all - which is what I found in my set.

Also I guess it's very subjective, every bass player has a different taste in sounds (eg. I refuse to play on Ampeg, that's just not my taste in sound).

Again about the $5k ... On second thought, I payed a bit over $5k for my main bass, so I guess I could maybe sometime justify to spend that .. but it would have to be thA bOmB ;)

Hope this helps,
Herwig

Herwig,

Thanks! This is great help and actually very encouraging.

Yeah, I don't think my design will appeal to everyone, but I do think it will appeal to a fair number of players... ones looking for a pristine, transparent, and huge sound. The preamp controls will be very minimal.

DeadPoet said:
....my current rig is semi compact (a 4x10 is not very compact but you can't get smaller than that without making sonic sacrifices imho)....
Ahh, but there are other ways.:)

Actually, the cabinet portion of my design will occupy a similar volume as your Goliath III. But it will do far more with that volume. Mine will reach down flat to 30Hz and the low frequency roll off will be much more shallow... dropping off at half the rate of a typical cabinet. This will fully reproduce the fundamental of a low B string, as well capturing the very deep fingering and fretting artifacts. (I'll probably need to incorporate a hi-pass filter selector for those players who don't want to feel the subsonic impulses of their fretting, plucks, and slaps!) The high frequency side is another story in itself. However, I don't want to give away too much information at this point.

Anyhow, thanks again! I'll keep you in mind when it comes endorsement time! :D

Thomas

Back