Production Equipment

JaQsonA1

So here's the deal. I want to start producing my own music right. So I mosey on up to Guitar Center and I wasn't clearly communicating the the sales guys what I wanted because the guy that was working with me keep telling about I need a keyboard with weighted keys? So I'm like huh??? I really didn't trust what ole boy was saying so I left and came back to the same store several hours later.

Okay I get there and I get this other dude that just completely looses me. He starts attempting to show me all of these keyboard and he doesnt know how to play a lick and he is just banging and making noise on the boards so needless to say I am frustrated at this point.

So the manager comes over and he shows me how impressive the Motif-8 is and He showed me how to start creating right there in the store. He told me that he would give me the Motif-6 or 7(i think), the foot petal, stand and bench for 2 g's I know this is an incredible deal because the board itself cost 2 g's. But I would like to know is this the best and most cost effective option for me? Would it be benefical for me to invest in this equipment or are there other options out there? Everybody is talking about Reason but is that difficult to learn? Talk to me!

I want to create my own musicial tracks for my songs. I want to get a good quality sound as well. but for someone that can not play keys i was wondering if software would be a better route.

If you can't play keys, I'd go the software route for the editing and flexibility - if you're just learning and are going to be playing one-finger style anyway, then you definitely don't need $2K weighted key stuff right now :)
An inexpensive midi controller keyboard like this http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioO2-main.html even comes with software, so for under $200 (not $2000) you can have a basic starter system (assuming you have a computer already).
Then you can upgrade to Reason or something similar when you want to upgrade your software/sounds and still use the same keyboard.
Good luck!

yeah, if you can't play don't get it unless your intent is to practice at it and learn how to play piano.
If you're just getting it for the sounds, take a look at the rack version:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MotifRackES/
A thousand dollars cheaper and probably almost all the same sounds.

The software route will usually be easier for you to learn than trying to start from scratch on a new musical instrument. Just sit down with the manual one day and play around. Find some tutorials even. You can always add on a controller later. M-Audio sells some inexpensive controllers.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Too many "producers" want to start "producin' beatz" before learning about music or playing an instrument.

Folks - Please learn to walk before you try to run!

TexRoadkill said:
How do you plan on writing music if you don't know how to play?

gordone said:
You took the words right out of my mouth!

Too many "producers" want to start "producin' beatz" before learning about music or playing an instrument.

Folks - Please learn to walk before you try to run!

I hear your sentiments - as with everything in life people seem to want everything NOW without realizing/wanting to put the effort required into it - but in defense of jaqson and others in a similar boat, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting yourself hooked up with an inexpensive midi keyboard and some bundled software to start experimenting... obviously if you're going into it with zero musical training or experience it makes it a lot harder, but you gotta start somewhere, and learning to play proper piano isn't for everyone - we all find our own way of musical expression. Just stay humble, knowing that there's always lots more to learn, and stay away from the expensive stuff that you don't need (yet)!

Back