producing pop music?!

emokid

this may seem weird, but i am dead serious.
How do you produce pop music?

What do you use to make the beats? I program drums with ezdrummer, but the beats used in pop music dont seem like traditional drums. I usually only hear a hi hat, snare and bass drum.
The "snares" usually sound like a clap, and the bass is usually an 8o8 type of bass, rather than an actual bass drum. So, i dont know how to do that. The hi hats i guess sound like hi hats, kind of. the underlying beat s very easy for me to figure out though most of the time.

Also, how are the instrument sounds produced? Sometimes i hear a guitar or piano hook, but most of the times to instruments sound virtual or synthesized. what program is used?

And also, for the vocals. The vocals in pop songs always sound heavily processed. They almost kind of sound robotic. I would have to guess its just a chorus/doubler modulation. I posted another thread concerning the "radio" effect, but im now just wondering about all the vocals in general.

Also, if you want to hear an example of what im talking about, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHVhwcOg6y8

I absolutely detest that song, and i hate most pop songs. I am more of a harder rock kind of person, and most of my recordings just consist of guitar, bass, drums (ezdrummer lol), but i hear elements in pop songs that i feel i can SUBTLY incorporate into my own songs to give it some more, "substance" for lack of a better word. Nothing liek autotune or the tpain/cher vocal crap, but an occasional synth/virtual instrument passage. But still, i just want to know the production process of pop songs.

with clap and 808 style bassdrum you are in right direction, usually samples are used. modernbeats provides for example good samples, you can check out free samplepack from their website. 808 samples you can get for free everywhere on internet.
never can't be sure if synths are made with program or with a real synthesizer. if you are going to use computer then almost every DAW should have some synths. you could check out some VST synths like vanguard, sylenth, z3ta and massive.
for vocals you can experiment with melodyne, also try putting on little bit chorus, delay, reverb.

You really shouldn't be posting links like that, but I'll forgive you :p

It sounds like you're just bored with the cookie-cutter hard rock format. Have you listened to any progressive music? Not for the virtuoso shredding, but the experimental and open-minded production techniques might help to bridge the gap between basic rock and the kind of pop that's on the radio today.

I know what you mean about being stuck in that basic rhythm section sort of thing. One of the first things you could try (after learning about samples and getting the kinds of sounds you want) is to record and produce while you write. Play around with effects and sounds and let them inspire you to write. I've tried to take my basic recordings and add things to spice them up and the mix never sounds right or it just sounds forced, but if I build an idea with various production techniques in mind from the beginning, then everything comes together better and sounds more multi-dimensional. Think of everything you use in your production as an instrument itself, not just tools to record with.

One thing I've discovered while being inspired by music I listen to is how certain riffs and melodies work in a song that might not sound so great by themselves. I'll think "if I wrote that guitar riff, I would never be able to use it in a song", because I'm so intent on using chord progressions that sound natural by themselves. And a lot of my songs are missing bridge/solo sections because I'm waiting for the perfect puzzle piece to connect to it. But production tricks will make two sections of a song fit together when they might otherwise clash.

Probably didn't answer your quesion at all, but I hope it helps.

try here for some excellent electronic drum samples

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html

the modern pop song vocals pretty much all have some kind of pitch correction...I was surprised at some of the singers Ive read about whose albums have been pitch corrected...from the more transparent melodyne through autotune to hardtune..which is the sound that plonker of the black eyed peas likes so much...

for a "gang" sound vocals, popularised in the 80s and now coming back, try analogue delay, chorus and reverb should get you that effect...try experimenting...use guitar pedals or their emulations as well as these can help get the sound you need..

First of all...

"Pop Music" is an extremely diverse genre these days. It can include anything from Whitney Houston to Metallica. I know I'll get about a thousand people who disagree, or agree, or sort of disagree, but

It sounds like you're talking about electronic drum sounds which are used in all kinds of music as well.

For an absolutely massive list of VST instruments that can make the types of sounds you're talking about...go here

try here for some excellent electronic drum samples

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html

the modern pop song vocals pretty much all have some kind of pitch correction...I was surprised at some of the singers Ive read about whose albums have been pitch corrected...from the more transparent melodyne through autotune to hardtune..which is the sound that plonker of the black eyed peas likes so much...

for a "gang" sound vocals, popularised in the 80s and now coming back, try analogue delay, chorus and reverb should get you that effect...try experimenting...use guitar pedals or their emulations as well as these can help get the sound you need..

those samples are pretty good, but i how would i go about triggering them with MIDI?
RIght now i program drums with ezdrummer, and i dont think i can change the samples in ezdrummer.

First of all...

"Pop Music" is an extremely diverse genre these days. It can include anything from Whitney Houston to Metallica. I know I'll get about a thousand people who disagree, or agree, or sort of disagree, but

It sounds like you're talking about electronic drum sounds which are used in all kinds of music as well.

For an absolutely massive list of VST instruments that can make the types of sounds you're talking about...go here

are those all pro tools compatible?
I would check myself, but i actually cannot check for while, cause my equipment is all packed up at the moment.

JESUS this free stuff is a gold mine.
Fuck spending 10K dollars on the waves mercury bundle (literally)

btw, thanks to everyone who has responded, espcially the free plug in stuff, its pretty insane. I cant wait to get my gear back lol

Just don't go over board it's nice to have all this free stuff but can your computer handle everything or that is running 3 or 4 at a time?

And am I understanding you correctly that you are running pro tools?

:cool:

Just don't go over board it's nice to have all this free stuff but can your computer handle everything or that is running 3 or 4 at a time?

And am I understanding you correctly that you are running pro tools?

:cool:

I never knew it was pro tools

if it is Emokid try this...you may get more urban sounds out of it...dunno

http://www.drumcore.com/TemplateMain.aspx?contentId=65

also when filling your DAW with free stuff I always give it a seperate folder in my plugins, those you try and like you move to your regular stuff, those you dont erase...its easy to swamp yourself with plugins though RTAS are slighlty less popular

another is izotopes i-Drum its $60 but covers you completely for urban/pop sounds...great little sequencer, re-routable channels, and some excellent kits with it...try them demo..I love this thing

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/idrum/buy.html

cool tahnks
btw, do all those other ones you mentioned also work for pro tools?

i dont think the first three do...not many "free" developers in the RTAS market unfortunately...probably just easier to make VSTs :(

yea, but i have the fxpansion vst to rtas adaptor v2.1. havent gotten a chance to use it yet thoguh

btw, on a side note, ive been considernig switching to cubase or sonar. Do you guys know if the standard current versions support VST?

Back