Producing a whole Pop Song

user007

Hi,
I need a step-by-step help to home-produce a whole pop song.
This is my equipment:
-Soundcard: SBLive!
-Mic: Shure SM58
-Software: Sonar 2XL with LiveSynth Pro and a lot of great SoundFonts; SoundForge
-Plugins: Waves, Ultrafunk, Arboretum, Timeworks, TC, etc.
I would like to produce a song that sounds like any Max Martin production or Michael Jackson songs, so the effects and eq's that i wanna use, must sound like this.

I'm at this stage now:
[15 MIDI tracks (Soundfonts with LiveSynth Pro)]
-Drums (9 tracks): bass drum, snare, hihat, left tom, right tom, floor tom, crash cymbal, splash cymbal and reverse cymbal.
-Bass
-HandClaps
-Pad
-Piano
-Slow Strings
-Attack Strings

[7 Audio Tracks (All in Mono)]
-Acoustic Guitar
-Guitar Base
-Guitar Solo
-LeadVocal1
-LeadVocal2
-BackVocal1
-BackVocal2

All the volume and pan levels are in normal positions.
What's the next step ? Please, the "next".

(Obs.: Sorry for my english, i'm brazilian, but i hope you understand me.)

You didn't write your mixer / mic's preamp. Where did you hook the mic into ? Mic in of the SB ? That's bad thing. You'll want mic preamp / mixer before you rec through the LINE IN of the card.

BTW, if you think you're happy enough with the tracks laid there, then the next step would be converting the MIDI parts into wave/audio tracks. Here you can mix use the plug ins...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65867

:cool:

I'm recording trough the "Mic In"... What's Mic preamp is recommended ?
But i'm happy with the audio tracks...
I'll convert the MIDI tracks now. Convert them in Mono or Stereo ?

I don't use any outboard mic preamps since I've always lived happy with my Mackie VLZ mixer's built in mic preamps. Anyway, preamps like Blue tube from PreSonus had a very good review.

To convert MIDI to audio, it depends on what's the instrument. We can't always say Stereo is better. It's good for Drums, Piano, and anything which has unique panning rules. But for Bass, synth, etc, I would take mono space... ;)

Back